Hollesley and Shingle Street War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458471
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Saints, School Lane, Hollesley, Suffolk, IP12 3RD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hollesley and Shingle Street War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 17:16:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Saints, School Lane, Hollesley, Suffolk, IP12 3RD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Hollesley
National Grid Reference:
TM3531944320

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Hollesley and Shingle Street War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed tall churchyard memorial cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of All Saints (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Hollesley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 29 members of the villages of Hollesley and Shingle Street who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was designed by Messrs Wykeham Chancellor. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 26 September 1920 by Captain B N Chevalier and Colonel Sir John Jervis-White-Jervis and dedicated by the Venerable J G R Darling.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard, to the west of the Church of All Saints (Grade II*).

The memorial comprises a stone cross fleury on a tapering octagonal shaft with a tapering octagonal plinth and three-stepped octagonal base. The memorial stands approximately 4m high.

The main inscription in incised lettering on the north face of the plinth and reads: IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THE MEN/ FROM HOLLESLEY AND/ SHINGLE STREET, WHO/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR./ 1914–1919/ –/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE.

The names of the fallen are inscribed on the other faces of the plinth, organised by service: (east face) ARMY/ (5 NAMES)/ (north-east face) ROYAL NAVY/ (9 NAMES)/ (north-west face) ARMY/ (5 NAMES)/ (west face) ARMY/ SUFFOLK REG/ (10 NAMES)/.

The last two names on the Royal Navy panel are smaller and do not include regiments, suggesting that these are later additions to the memorial.

Sources

Websites
Research into Hollesley War Memorial by Adrian Pye, accessed 25 August 2017 from http://media.geograph.org.uk/files/fe9fc289c3ff0af142b6d3bead98a923/HOLLESLEY_War_Memorial.pdf
War Memorial Register, accessed 25 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5507
Other
East Anglian Daily Times, 27 September 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].