South Park War Memorial, Reigate

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458480

Date first listed: 06-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: opposite Church of St Luke, Church Road, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 8HY

Map

Ordnance survey map of South Park War Memorial, Reigate
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 03:01:59.

Location

Statutory Address: opposite Church of St Luke, Church Road, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 8HY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ2522249053

Summary

First World War memorial. 1920 by the local architect, Vincent Hooper. Names of the fallen from the Second World War subsequently added.

Reasons for Designation

South Park War Memorial, Reigate, erected in 1920 to a design by Vincent Hooper, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed, architect designed, example of one of the most popular forms of First World War memorial.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial at South Park, Reigate was unveiled on 14 November 1920 by Brigadier General G K Cockerill, CB to the designs of local architect, Vincent Hooper (1879-1935). The names of the fallen from the Second World War were subsequently added.

Details

First World War memorial. 1920 by the local architect, Vincent Hooper. Names of the fallen from the Second World War subsequently added.

MATERIALS: Portland stone. Bronze laurel wreath.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on the east side of Church Road opposite the entrance to the Church of St Luke. It consists of a tapered Latin cross set on a tall multi-stage plinth. The top stage of the plinth is square with carved scrolls. Below this is an octagonal stage with a moulded lower section and bearing the Latin inscription DEUS VULT (’God wills it’) on the rear face. The bottom of the plinth consists of two square stone blocks on a three tier base. The front face of lower block bears a bronze laurel wreath above the inscription THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. Above it on the upper block is the inscription DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO DIED IN WAR/ 1914-1918. The 21 names of the fallen of the First World War, with their rank, are inscribed on the other three faces of the upper block and the 28 names of the fallen of the Second World War, with the date 1939-1945, on the lower block.

The memorial is surrounded by stone paving with steps to the front descending to the road.

Sources

Websites
IWM Register of War Memorials - 41579 - South Park Cross, accessed 2 July 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41579
War Memorials Online - 178151 - South Park War Memorial, accessed 2 July 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/178151
Other
Surrey Mirror - Report of unveiling (19 November 1920)

End of official listing