Christ Church War Memorial, Carlisle

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458500
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Aidan, Warwick Road, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1 1LT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Christ Church War Memorial, Carlisle
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458500 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 20:01:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Aidan, Warwick Road, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1 1LT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NY4103655921

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Christ Church War Memorial, Carlisle, which is situated in St Aidan’s Churchyard, Carlisle, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed wooden calvary on an octagonal stone base.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Aidan and the Grade II-listed St Aidan’s Church Hall.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Carlisle as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Christ Church War Memorial was originally unveiled at Christ Church in Botchergate (demolished 1952), and represented 63 men of that parish who died in the First World War. Christ Church was closed and the war memorial relocated to St Aidan’s, along with parishioners. A faculty for it had been granted for its erection in the churchyard, in April 1921. The memorial was unveiled on 26 July 1921.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921.

MATERIALS: stone; wood.

DESCRIPTION: Christ Church War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Aidan, Warwick Road, Carlisle, Cumbria. It is prominently situated outside the front of the church along the main road. It comprises a wooden gabled calvary on an octagonal stone plinth and octagonal two-stepped base. The plinth and base bear the inscriptions in incised lettering.

The inscription on the plinth reads TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ CONNECTED WITH/ THIS PARISH AND/ CONGREGATION/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918// (NAMES).

The inscription on the base reads REST ETERNAL GRANT THEM O LORD.

Sources

Websites
The Royal British Legion, Carlisle and Stanwix Branch , accessed 2 April 2018 from http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/carlisle/ww1-heroes-walk-of-honour/memorial-32-st-aidan-church-memorial
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/48973
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/176796/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].