Milton Keynes Village War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458646
Date first listed:
08-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
c25m south of All Saints Church, The churchyard, Willen Road, Milton Keynes Village, Milton Keynes, MK10 9AF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Milton Keynes Village War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458646 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 18:59:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
c25m south of All Saints Church, The churchyard, Willen Road, Milton Keynes Village, Milton Keynes, MK10 9AF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Milton Keynes
National Grid Reference:
SP8876839134

Summary

First World War memorial designed by AR Powys ARIBA, unveiled 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Milton Keynes Village War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* an unusual war memorial designed by noted architect AR Powys ARIBA; * unusually, the memorial has not been adapted for Second World War commemoration, and thus retains its original design intent.

Group value:

* with the Church of All Saints (Grade I-listed), and Manor Farmhouse, The Old Rectory, and the Wall to the road west of The Old Rectory (all Grade II-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Milton Keynes as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by nine members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was designed by AR Powys. It was erected by Messrs Wilford Bros of Newport Pagnell. The memorial was unveiled by WHM Finch, lord of the manor, on 21 August 1921.

Albert Reginald Powys ARIBA (1881-1936), architect, was known for his work on the conservation of ancient buildings, in particular in his role as Secretary to the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) from 1911 to his death. Having been articled to CB Benson (Yeovil), and Assistant to WF Cave and William Weir, he passed his qualifying exam in 1904. He was in independent practice from 1908 and in partnership with John Macgregor from 1925. In 1928 he published his classic reference book ‘Repair of Ancient Buildings’. Powys also designed the war memorials at Godalming, Blo’ Norton, and Meanwood, all of which are listed at Grade II.

Details

The Portland stone war memorial stands in the churchyard c25m to the south of the Church of All Saints (Grade I-listed), placed directly in line of sight with the churchyard gate and path from Willen Road. Standing c3m tall, it takes the form of a large panel with the top curved in stages. The panel is raised on a plinth, rectangular in plan. A Latin cross with a decorative border is carved in relief to the front face of the panel, forming recessed quadrants in which are carved inscriptions:

(upper left) 1914

(upper right) 1918

(lower left) REMEMBER/ THE MEN/ OF/ MILTON=/ =KEYNES/ WHO, FOR/ THEIR

(lower right) COUNTRY/ AND FOR/ US, LAID/ DOWN/ THEIR/ LIVES IN/ THE WAR.

The nine names are recorded on the front face of the base whilst, to the rear of the panel, the dedication continues GREATER LOVE HATH NO/ MAN THAN THIS THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.

Sources

Books and journals
Brodie, Antonia (ed.), Directory of British Architects, 1834-1914: Vol. 2 (L-Z), (2001), 403-4
'Obituary' in Architects Journal, , Vol. 83, (1936), 440
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 29 April 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8175
Other
North Bucks Standard: 27 August 1921.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].