Thrandeston War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458769
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Little Green, Thrandeston, Suffolk, IP21 4BY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Thrandeston War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 04:34:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Little Green, Thrandeston, Suffolk, IP21 4BY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Thrandeston
National Grid Reference:
TM1165576439

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Thrandeston War Memorial, which stands in a prominent position beside the entrance to the churchyard of the Church of St Margaret, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed and evocative example of a wheel-head cross of Cornish granite.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Margaret (Grade I) and the three Blakely monuments to the north of the church (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Thrandeston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by Messrs G Maile and Son (builders) at a cost of around £113, and paid for by public subscription. The memorial was dedicated on Sunday 1 February 1920 by Mr F W French.

A small rectangular plaque bearing the name of one parishioner who fell during the Second World War was added to the memorial and dedicated by the rector, Reverend W W Sutton, on Sunday 16 November 1947.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Cornish granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position beside the entrance to the churchyard of the Church of St Margaret of Antioch (Grade I).

The memorial comprises a plain wheel-head cross on a tapering rough-hewn plinth and single-stepped base. On the south face of the cross is a relief-carved Sword of Sacrifice. The memorial is carved from grey Cornish granite and stands approximately 2.7m high. A small rectangular granite plaque bearing the name of one parishioner who died during the Second World War has been added to the south face of the plinth.

The main inscription in leaded lettering on the south face of the plinth reads: 1914 – 1918/ TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN MEMORY OF/ (13 NAMES).

An additional inscription in leaded lettering on a small rectangular granite plaque attached to the south face of the plinth reads: 1939 – 1945/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ (1 NAME).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4863
Other
‘Thrandeston. Memorial to Fallen Heroes’, Diss Express, Friday 6 February 1920
‘Thrandeston. War Memorial Dedicated’, Diss Express, Friday 21 November 1947

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].