Wingfield War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458773

Date first listed: 18-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, Church Road, Wingfield, Suffolk, IP21 5RA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wingfield War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 00:58:04.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, Church Road, Wingfield, Suffolk, IP21 5RA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Wingfield

National Grid Reference: TM2302076872

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Wingfield War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a fine example of an ornate churchyard memorial cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Andrew (Grade I), the De La Pole Arms (Grade II) and The Old Forge (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised in the churchyard at Wingfield as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 12 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on 20 November 1921 by Major H Palgrave Raven. The name of the single parishioner who fell during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Clipsham stone

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the northern extension of the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew (Grade I), and is overlooked by the De La Pole Arms (Grade II) and The Old Forge (Grade II).

The memorial is of Clipsham stone and comprises a small Latin cross with octagonal-section shaft and arms, each ending in an ornately carved octagonal cap. The cross stands within the crenelated capital of a tall, slender octagonal column set atop a tall plinth. The top of the plinth is octagonal to complement the cross shaft, but its body is cuboid, with recessed panels into which the inscriptions are carved. The whole stands on a large square stone base with an elaborate cap.

The main inscription is on the front (west) face of the plinth and reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF WINGFIELD/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/. The names of the 12 First World War fallen are listed on the north and south faces of the plinth in two lists of six names. On the rear face of the plinth is the additional inscription: 1939 – 1945/ (NAME)/.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 22 September 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4662
Other
Wingfield War Memorial, East Anglian Daily Times, 24 November 1921

End of official listing