Redlingfield War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458826
Date first listed:
28-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Redlingfield War Memorial, St Andrew's Churchyard, Church Road, Redlingfield, Suffolk, IP23 7QR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Redlingfield War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 02:07:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
Redlingfield War Memorial, St Andrew's Churchyard, Church Road, Redlingfield, Suffolk, IP23 7QR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Redlingfield
National Grid Reference:
TM1864870735

Summary

War memorial. Erected, after the First World War, in 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Redlingfield War Memorial, erected in 1920 in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Andrew and the scheduled monument and Grade II-listed building of the medieval Benedictine nunnery south of the churchyard.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Redlingfield as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was erected by Charles Pettiward in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew (Grade II*-listed, List Entry No 1032497). It is near the scheduled monument and Grade II-listed C14 building (now a barn, possibly originally a guest house) of a Benedictine nunnery (List Entry Nos 1005963 and 1374919). The war memorial was unveiled by Lord Henniker during a ceremony on Sunday 28 November 1920.

Details

War memorial. Erected, after the First World War, in 1920.

MATERIALS: carved from Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is situated in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, immediately to the north-east of the church. It comprises a Celtic cross set on a tapering shaft, trapezoidal plinth and a square base. It is carved from Portland stone and stands approximately 2.4m high. The east face of the shaft is inscribed in incised and painted lettering TO THE/ GLORY OF/ GOD/ AND IN/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE/ OF THIS/ PARISH/ WHO HAVE/ SACRIFICED/ THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR/ KING/ & COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918. The names of 10 members of the community who sacrificed their lives are inscribed on the east face of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 19 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4824
Redlingfield Parish: First World War memorial research, accessed 1 August 2018 from http://redlingfield.onesuffolk.net/home/local-history/the-first-world-war/villagers-who-served/
War Memorials Online database, accessed 19 June 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/252133/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].