Ticehurst War Memorial and Second World War Commemorative Stone

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458898
Date first listed:
26-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Ticehurst War Memorial, The Square, Ticehurst, Rother, East Sussex, TN5 7AA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ticehurst War Memorial and Second World War Commemorative Stone
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:36:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
Ticehurst War Memorial, The Square, Ticehurst, Rother, East Sussex, TN5 7AA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Ticehurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ6891530226

Summary

A stone First World War memorial of 1921, and adjacent Second World War memorial stone of 1947.

Reasons for Designation

Ticehurst War Memorial, of 1921, with later memorial stone of 1947, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:   Historic interest:   *    as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

  Architectural interest:   *    modest, but poignant First World War memorial and Second World War commemorative stone, formed of good quality materials.   Group value:   *    as two monuments making up a single memorial, and with an adjacent representative group of village buildings, all listed at Grade II.





History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised in Ticehurst, East Sussex, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.   The memorial was originally dedicated by the Reverend G H Gray, and unveiled by Lieutenant-Colonel G L Courthope on 27 February 1921. After the Second World War a separate commemorative stone was added, and the combined memorial was re-dedicated by the Dean of Battle on 27 July 1947. The memorial does not record the names of the combatants who served or died in either conflict.   An ornamental fence was also added in 1947, but this has subsequently been replaced by iron railings.

Details

A stone First World War memorial of 1921, and adjacent Second World War memorial stone of 1947.   MATERIALS: Devonshire granite.   DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on a triangular grassed area, in the middle of the Ticehurst village square. It is formed of a tall, rough-hewn Celtic cross, which has a carved knot to the head. It stands on a three-stepped octagonal base, which is inscribed with the words 'LEST WE FORGET OUR GLORIOUS DEAD 1914 – 1918'.   A separate segmental-headed stone of remembrance is located on the eastern edge of the grassed area. It has a rough-hewn surround, and the polished face is inscribed with the words 'IN PROUD / THANKSGIVING / 1939 – 1945'.

The combined memorial is surrounded by a set of later C20 metal railings*.

* Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.



Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum, accessed 25/7/2018 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17089
War Memorials Online Monument 10493, accessed 25/7/2018 from WMO www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249010

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].