Blackrod War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458902

Date first listed: 18-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Blackrod Cemetery, Manchester Road, Blackrod, Bolton, BL6 5BD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Blackrod War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:59:53.

Location

Statutory Address: Blackrod Cemetery, Manchester Road, Blackrod, Bolton, BL6 5BD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Blackrod

National Grid Reference: SD6204310463

Summary

First World War memorial, 1925, with Second World War additions, designed by W Bradley MSA.

Reasons for Designation

Blackrod War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.Architectural interest:

* it is a dignified war memorial, executed in good quality materials, with careful attention to its form and detailing, which is a fitting tribute to the Fallen from both World Wars.

History

Blackrod War Memorial stands in a prominent position to one side of the Blackrod Cemetery Chapel, within sight of Manchester Road; it was designed by Mr W Bradley MSA of Bolton and it was built by Leonard Fairclough Limited of Adlington. The memorial was dedicated at a service on Sunday 29 March 1925, following a procession lead by the Blackrod Public Prize Band and consisting of a guard of honour of 150 ex-service men, relatives of the Fallen, choirs from the parish church of St Katherine and the Wesleyan Chapel, the clergy, and the War Memorial Committee. The service was conducted by Reverend R W Gordon MA and an address was given by the Chairman of the Council Adam Brindle JP. The memorial was unveiled by Mrs Mary Ann Wilkinson, the oldest mother from Blackrod to have lost a son - Ralph Wilkinson - before four trumpeters from the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment sounded the ‘Last Post’ and one minutes silence was observed. Originally, there were 43 names of the Fallen from the First World War recorded on the south-west face of the memorial, but following the Second World War, 19 names were added to the north-east face. Following further research, the names of a further 22 Fallen of the First World War were added in July 2016.

Details

War memorial, 1925, with Second World War additions, designed by W Bradley MSA.

MATERIALS: ashlar Stancliffe sandstone

PLAN: rectangular cenotaph set within a square enclosure, formed by two flower borders and paved areas.

DESCRIPTION: the cenotaph consists of an approximately 3.76m (12ft) tall rectangular shaft, with canted surfaces, rising from a pedestal that has a shouldered and moulded upper surface, and a projecting plinth that stands on a rectangular ashlar dais. It is approached from both the front and rear by stone paved areas and is flanked by rectangular flower borders, edged with low stone curbs. The sides of the monument are canted and have plain raised panels with stopped edges at the base, plain friezes and bronze flagpole sockets and brackets. The front (south-west) and rear (north-east) elevations of the shaft, each have a coffered central panel with a fielded tablet, flanked by plain pilasters rising to a frieze, with a depressed pediment. The pediment and frieze to the front are inscribed 1914 – 1918 / TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD and the rear of the pediment is inscribed 1939 – 1945. The front panel records the names of 43 of the Fallen from the First World War and reads: IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / BLACKROD, / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR // NAMES // THEIR NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE. The rear panel records the names of 19 Fallen from the Second World War and reads: NAMES // LEST / WE / FORGET // NAMES. Two secondary ashlar tablets let into the base of the front of the cenotaph, records the names of a further 22 Fallen from the First World War.

Sources

Websites
Blackrod War Memorial - War Memorials Online, accessed 23 July 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/148014/
Imperial War Museum War memorials Register - Blackrod , accessed 23 July 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10674
Traces of War - War Memorial Blackrod, accessed 23 July 2018 from https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/21311/War-Memorial-Blackrod.htm

End of official listing