Occold War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458936
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Burial Ground, Church Street, Occold, Suffolk, IP23 7PW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Occold War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 00:53:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
Burial Ground, Church Street, Occold, Suffolk, IP23 7PW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Occold
National Grid Reference:
TM1558270801

Summary

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1920 by the stonemasons Messrs Perfitt of Diss.

Reasons for Designation

Occold War Memorial, erected in 1920 in the burial ground south of Church Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War;

Architectural interest:

* as a well-crafted memorial broadly derived from the architect Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘Cross of Sacrifice’ for the Imperial War Graves Commission;

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed former Church of St Michael.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Occold in the burial ground to the south of Church Street and the Church of St Michael (Grade II*-listed, List Entry 1352447). It serves as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives during the First World War. The design for the memorial was derived from the architect Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘Cross of Sacrifice’ for the Imperial War Graves Commission. Variations on Blomfield’s design appeared in stone masons catalogues and were chosen for local war memorials across England. It was erected by the stonemasons Messrs Perfitt of Diss and unveiled by Lord Henniker during a memorial ceremony on Sunday 28 November 1920.

Details

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1920 by the stonemasons Messrs Perfitt of Diss.

MATERIALS: carved from stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is situated in the burial ground to the south of Church Street and the Church of St Michael (Grade II*-listed). It comprises a tall elongated Latin stone cross with a tapering octagonal shaft. The shaft stands on an octagonal plinth, itself resting on a two-stepped octagonal base. On the front (north-east) face of the plinth is the inscription in leaded lettering: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD,/ AND IN GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS/ PARISH, WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1918. The names of 15 members of the community who lost their lives are inscribed on the north and east faces of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, , accessed 23 July 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4802

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].