Wimbledon Common War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458959
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields, Wimbledon Common, London, SW15 3EH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wimbledon Common War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 17:03:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields, Wimbledon Common, London, SW15 3EH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2195172161

Summary

A First World War memorial, designed by Madeline Agar and erected in 1921, refurbished in 2006.

Reasons for Designation

Wimbledon Common War Memorial, of 1921, designed by Madeline Agar assisted by Brenda Colvin, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* a well constructed and little altered memorial, unusual for its large planting compartments on the base and the rarity of having been designed and executed by a female landscape designer and architect, assisted by the nationally important landscape designer, Brenda Colvin.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Wimbledon Common, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. This memorial was unveiled in 1921.

It was funded by the Wandsworth and Wimbledon Memorial Garden Fund, whose chairman was Richardson Evans. It was designed by the landscape designer Madeline Agar, who was responsible for work on Wimbledon Common, and her site assistant was the landscape architect Brenda Colvin.

The memorial was refurbished by the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators in Spring 2006.

Details

A First World War Memorial, designed by Madeline Agar and erected in 1921, refurbished in 2006.

MATERIALS: constructed of rock-faced stone with marble inscription panels.

PLAN: octagonal.

DETAILS: the memorial consists of a wide octagonal base divided into compartments, six to contain plants, the other two sides providing five steps up to a platform. This bears a narrower octagon of three steps bearing a moulded plinth with attached inscribed marble tablets, surmounted by a tall Latin cross with vertical carved strips.

One marble tablet is inscribed:

NATURE PROVIDES / THE BEST MONUMENT / THE PERFECTING OF / THE WORK MUST BE LEFT / TO THE GENTLE HAND / OF TIME, BUT EACH / RETURNING SPRING WILL / BRING A FRESH TRIBUTE / TO THOSE WHOM IT / IS DESIRED TO KEEP IN / EVERLASTING / REMEMBRANCE.

The opposite tablet is inscribed:

THE LAND AROUND / 42 ACRES / IS DEDICATED / TO PUBLIC USE / IN MEMORY OF ALL / THOSE WHO HAVING / BEEN RESIDENT OR / BELONGING TO FAMILIES / RESIDENT IN THE / ADJOINING DISTRICTS / GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR /1914-1918.

The other six marble tablets bear the names of the 115 local men who gave their lives in the First World War.

Sources

Other
War Memorials Trust no. 111189

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].