Brimpton War Memorial, West Berkshire

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458970

Date first listed: 18-Sep-2018

Location Description: Brimpton War Memorial is located on a triangle of land in the centre of Brimpton Village, at the junction of Brimpton Road and Church Lane, RG7 4TL. Approximate grid reference SU5579364777.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Brimpton War Memorial, West Berkshire
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458970 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 01:50:52.

Location

Location Description: Brimpton War Memorial is located on a triangle of land in the centre of Brimpton Village, at the junction of Brimpton Road and Church Lane, RG7 4TL. Approximate grid reference SU5579364777.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brimpton

National Grid Reference: SU5579364777

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Brimpton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as a well-crafted Celtic cross.

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20. Group value: * with three nearby listed buildings, including the Church of St Peter (Grade II, List entry 1117302).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus for the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Brimpton, West Berkshire, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Brimpton War Memorial was unveiled by Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Arthur Fanshawe GCB GCVO, at a dedication service on 16 January 1921. The memorial commemorates 22 members of the parish who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War, the names of two more individuals were also added. The builder is presently unknown.

It is understood that the surrounding stone walls and railings were added during refurbishment in 2000 and are not assessed for listing.

Details

War memorial unveiled in 1921.

MATERIALS: cornish granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands approximately 12ft high, and comprises a Celtic cross on a tapering shaft and two-stepped octagonal plinth. The memorial is surrounded by an oval shaped course of stone walls and railings, with an opening to the north, which is believed to be a C21 addition and thus not assessed for listing. The front, north face of the shaft is inscribed as follows:

THESE MEN/ OF BRIMPTON/ WHOSE NAMES ARE/ HERE INSCRIBED/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR FREEDOM/ AND HONOUR/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE.

The top step of the plinth was later inscribed 1939-1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
West Berkshire War Memorials, accessed 24 July 2018 from http://westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/memorial.php?link=WB001

End of official listing