Areley Kings War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1459047

Date first listed: 06-Sep-2018

Location Description:

Statutory Address: Areley Kings War Memorial, Rectory Lane, Stourport on Severn, Worcestershire, DY13 0TB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Areley Kings War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459047 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:37:50.

Location

Statutory Address: Areley Kings War Memorial, Rectory Lane, Stourport on Severn, Worcestershire, DY13 0TB

Location Description:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Stourport-on-Severn

National Grid Reference: SO8023570964

Summary

A First World War memorial, designed by HC Corlette (1869-1958), unveiled on 1 September 1920; altered by the addition of names from the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Areley Kings War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a well-executed sandstone memorial with elaborate carved detailing.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Bartholomew, Church House and The Old Rectory.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Areley Kings, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the men of the community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial, which was designed by architect Major Hubert Christian Corlette, OBE (1869 – 1958), was unveiled in a ceremony by Bishop Philip Fyson on 1 September 1920. Further names were added after the Second World War to commemorate those lost in that conflict.

In 1961 the war memorial was moved to its present position from its original location nearby, at the junction of Dunley Road and Areley Lane, as part of a road widening scheme.

Details

A First World War memorial, designed by HC Corlette (1869-1958), unveiled on 1 September 1920; altered by the addition of names from the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial takes the form of a Latin cross with splayed ends to the arms, and is about 1.3m high overall. The cross stands atop an octagonal column with scrolling chamfers to the top. The column stands on a large, square plinth, all on a two-stepped platform with slightly sloping steps. The plinth carries the inscriptions and names of the 13 men who lost their lives in the First World War, and the five men lost in the Second World War. The inscription on the plinth, of carved lettering in a Serif font, reads A PILLAR OF REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE MEN OF/ ARELEY KINGS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918// (NAMES)// FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ "WHO DIES IF ENGLAND LIVES"// (NAMES).

The upper step of the two-stepped platform reads 1939-1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Areley Kings Memorial Cross, accessed 27 July 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37872
Worcestershire and Worcester City Historic Environment Record WSM48144: war memorial at the southern edge of St Bartholomew’s Churchyard, Areley Kings, accessed 27 July 2018 from http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MWR30320&resourceID=1035

End of official listing