Kenton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1459052
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
All Saints Churchyard, Church Road, Kenton, Suffolk, IP14 6JH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Kenton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459052 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 16:56:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
All Saints Churchyard, Church Road, Kenton, Suffolk, IP14 6JH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Kenton
National Grid Reference:
TM1912165915

Summary

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1920 by the builders Messrs Clary and Wright.

Reasons for Designation

Kenton War Memorial, erected in 1920 in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War;

Group value:

* with the Grade II* -listed Church of All Saints.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Kenton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by the builders Messrs Clary and Wright. The monument was unveiled by F S Stevenson and dedicated by Reverend G Allen, Vicar of Kenton, during a memorial service in December 1920.

Details

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1920 by the builders Messrs Clary and Wright.

MATERIALS: carved from Aberdeen granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is situated in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, immediately to the west of the church. It comprises a Latin cross set on a tapering plinth and two-stepped base, altogether standing approximately 1.8m high. The front (south) face of the plinth is inscribed in leaded lettering: THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1919/ (6 NAMES)/ THEY ALL GAVE THEIR LIVES/ JESU MERCY, AMEN.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 25 July 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4780
Photograph on Geograph, accessed 25 July 2018 from http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4658404

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].