Calow War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1459467

Date first listed: 26-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Eastwood Park, Top Road, Calow, Derbyshire, S44 5TE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Calow War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 01:55:43.

Location

Statutory Address: Eastwood Park, Top Road, Calow, Derbyshire, S44 5TE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Calow

National Grid Reference: SK4143170993

Summary

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Calow War Memorial, which stands in Eastwood Park in Calow, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed sandstone wheel-head cross bearing carved decorative details.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Calow as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

In April 1919 three acres of land at Top Road were donated to Calow by Alderman Eastwood to provide a recreation ground for the community in commemoration of the 25 local servicemen who lost their lives in the First World War. Eastwood purchased the land at a cost of £250. By April 1921 plans were underway to provide a standing stone memorial within the recreation ground.

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 10 fallen of that conflict. The original plaques were stolen between 1989 and 1992 but have since been replaced.

The memorial was conserved in 2008 with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.

Details

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on a tarmac area in Eastwood Park in Calow, Derbyshire. It consists of a wheel-headed Celtic cross with knot work design on the arms of the cross rising from a tapering square plinth. The plinth is set upon a single stepped base. There are two bronze plaques on the memorial. The First World War dedication plaque is located on the front face of the plinth and reads IN MEMORY OF THOSE FALLEN FROM THIS PARISH/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ “GRANT THEM O LORD ETERNAL REST”.

Another plaque is located at the base of the shaft and is inscribed IN MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 22 March 2017 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/663
War Memorials Online, accessed 22 March 2017 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/121814
War Memorials Trust, accessed 22 March 2017 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=463
Other
‘Brimington and Calow’, Derbyshire Courier, (9 April 1921), 7
‘Gift to Calow: Recreation Ground from Ald. Eastwood: Three Acres of Land’, Derbyshire Courier, (19 April 1919), 5

End of official listing