Waingroves War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1459479
Date first listed:
28-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Waingroves Methodist Church, Waingroves Road, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 9TB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Waingroves War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 03:39:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Waingroves Methodist Church, Waingroves Road, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 9TB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Amber Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Ripley
National Grid Reference:
SK4116549542

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions.

Reasons for Designation

Waingroves War Memorial, which stands adjacent to Waingroves Methodist Church on Waingroves Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple yet evocative wheel-head cross bearing a carved Sword of Sacrifice.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Waingroves as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 13 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial was designed by Mr F Holbrook of Eastwood and built by Messrs Short Bros, with the foundations and base of the memorial provided by the Butterley Co. The total cost of the memorial was £100, the funds for which were raised by a war memorial committee and by donations given by local residents. The memorial was unveiled on 15 May 1921 by Colonel TC Newbold at the Waingroves Methodist Church on Church Street.

Following the Second World War the names of seven fallen from that conflict were added to the memorial. In 2001, after the congregation of the church was relocated to new premises on Waingroves Road, the memorial was relocated to its present location. At the same time, the base of the memorial was replaced with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust. After 2007 a name from the conflict in Afghanistan was added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions.

MATERIALS: sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located adjacent to Waingroves Methodist Church on Waingroves Road.

It comprises a wheel-headed cross with a Sword of Sacrifice carved in relief on the north-east face of the cross head and shaft. The cross shaft rises from a tapering two-stepped plinth set on a square base with a brick edge. The inscriptions are incised and picked out in gold. The north-east face of both steps of the plinth are inset with stone tablets.

The base of the north-east face of the cross shaft is incised with BY THEIR/ SACRIFICE/ WE LIVE. The north-east face of the top step of the plinth bears the inscription ERECTED BY THE INHABITANTS OF THE/ WAINGROVES WARD TO THE MEMORY OF THE/ FOLLOWING WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (13 NAMES). The face of the plinth step below reads ALSO IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (7 NAMES)/ “FOR FREEDOM THEY DIED”. The south-east face of the top step of the plinth carries the inscription (1 NAME)/ AFGHANISTAN 2007.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 5 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/64252
War Memorials Online, accessed 5 October 2017 from http://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/135052
War Memorials Trust, accessed 5 October 2017 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=292
Other
‘Waingroves Tribute to Fallen Heroes’, Ripley and Heanor News, (20 May 1921), p3
‘Waingroves War Memorial A Correction’, Ripley and Heanor News, (27 May 1921), p2
‘Waingroves War Memorial’, Ripley and Heanor News, (11 March 1921), p3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].