Entrance lodge with curved walling and gate piers at Lawnswood House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1459906
Date first listed:
28-Sep-2018
Location Description:
Lawnswood House, South Staffordshire, DY7 5QJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Entrance lodge with curved walling and gate piers at Lawnswood House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459906 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 19:06:56.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Lawnswood House, South Staffordshire, DY7 5QJ
County:
Staffordshire
District:
South Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Kinver
National Grid Reference:
SO8779887221

Summary

Entrance lodge with curved walling and gate piers constructed in 1839.

Reasons for Designation

The entrance lodge at Lawnswood House, Stourbridge is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as an impressive example of an Italianate entrance lodge, designed to give passers-by a taste of the architectural quality of the principal house beyond; * as a high quality and well-crafted building with good quality architectural detailing including octagonal turret and windows with moulded cornicing; * the building survives remarkably intact and retains many of its mid-C19 windows, its plan-form and internal joinery.

Historic interest:

* as a surviving entrance lodge from the mid-C19, displaying the functions of a small estate in this period.

History

Lawnswood House is not depicted on the tithe map of 1839, though the corresponding apportionment describes a ‘New House, Garden and Pleasure Ground’. It is likely that Lawnswood was in the process of being erected when the tithe surveys took place; a construction date of 1839 is therefore probable. The house was built for George Firmstone who was an iron founder located in neighbouring Stourbridge.

Lawnswood House is depicted along with its entrance lodge and stable range on Fowler’s map of the parish dating from 1840. By the time of the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, Lawnswood is depicted as an L-shaped building with an additional detached range to the east. The map also shows an entrance lodge to the south-east of the house, stable range to the north-east, and glasshouses and walled garden to the east.

The principal house underwent significant alteration in the 1920s and 30s when the house came under new ownership. Internal alterations were made including the opening up of the former library, strong room, butler’s pantry and china closet to create a large entrance hall. The principal stair was also replaced at this time, and a large fireplace was inserted at the south end of the hall. Ornate wooden fireplace surrounds with foliate carvings were inserted into morning room and dining room, replacing the earlier fireplaces. The service range was also reconfigured internally during this time, with many of the rooms being opened up and the former laundry and cooking kitchen being incorporated into a new garage extension. It is likely that the colonnaded entrance to the south-east of the house was also rebuilt on a slightly reduced footprint at this time.

The 1938 Ordnance Survey map shows that the glasshouses within the walled garden had been demolished by this date, as had a small conservatory on the south east elevation of the house. By 1968 a new glasshouse had been erected running parallel to the potting shed on the south elevation of the north wall of the walled garden.

Details

An entrance lodge with curved walling and gate piers built in 1839.

MATERIALS: constructed of brick with stucco render incised to resemble ashlar under a slate roof.

PLAN: the lodge is roughly cruciform on plan with octagonal turret to the north.

EXTERIOR: the principal façade (south-west) features a single-storey projecting entrance porch with pediment above. There is a central recessed entrance door with stone steps and cornice supported by consoles. To the north is an octagonal turret with several blind windows, three at first-floor level and three at ground-floor level. The ground-floor has a central window with pediment supported by consoles with two windows to either side with moulded cornice supported by consoles, the most easterly of these being blind. In between are two narrow lights, both of which are blind. At first floor level are three round-headed windows with hood moulding; the most westerly of these being blind, again there are two blind narrow lights in between. The north-east elevation has a central projecting bay with hipped roof. To the left is a lean-to roof covering the rear entrance to the building.

INTERIOR: on the ground floor of the lodge is a kitchen and two reception rooms both with late-C20 fireplaces. There is some surviving joinery in the building with built-in cupboards in one of the reception rooms and shutters in the entrance hall and reception room to the south-east. There are two bedrooms at first-floor level which retain their C19 sash windows.



Sources

Websites
Sales Particulars 'Lawnswood', accessed 1 August 2018 from https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbwmrstes160074
Other
Fowler's Map of Kingswinford 1839-1840, Dudley Archives and Local History Service
Kingswinford Tithe Map, 1839
'Lawnswood House: An Assessment of Significance', Bidwells, 2018

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].