Arnold War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1460060
Date first listed:
21-Jan-2019
Statutory Address:
Arnot Hill Park to the west of Arnot Hill House, Nottingham Road, Arnold, Nottinghamshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Arnold War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1460060 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:16:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
Arnot Hill Park to the west of Arnot Hill House, Nottingham Road, Arnold, Nottinghamshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Gedling (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK5827044768

Summary

First World War memorial.

Reasons for Designation

Arnold War Memorial in Arnot Hill Park is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a tall Celtic wheel cross on a tapering trapezoid plinth;

Group value:

* it stands in the grounds of the Grade II listed Arnot Hill House with which it has group value.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

In 1914 the Urban Development Corporation in Arnold purchased the Victorian Arnot Hill House (Grade II listed) and grounds with the intention of opening the park to the public. These plans were deferred at the outbreak of the First World War as Arnot Hill House was used by the Red Cross Society as a convalescent home for the wounded. In 1919 when the Red Cross vacated, the park was opened to the public with the first of many band concerts and a free tea for the children. Funds were raised for the war memorial which was unveiled on 27th May 1922. It was made by W H Higginbottom and Messrs Thomas Long and Sons of Nottingham.

Details

First World War memorial.

MATERIALS: granite from Aberdeen.

EXTERIOR: the memorial stands in Arnot Hill Park between the Grade II-listed house and the lake. It is in the form of a tall Celtic wheel cross on a tapering trapezoid plinth surmounted on a two-stepped base. The main face of the cross is embellished with intricate carving. All four sides of the plinth are inscribed with the names.

The front face of the shaft bears the inscription carved in relief: IN/ GRATEFUL/ MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN OF/ ARNOLD/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918.

The front face of the plinth bears a later inscription: AND ALSO OF THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ DURING THE WAR 1939 - 1945/ AND OTHER CONFLICTS.

The memorial is set within a small square enclosure bounded by blue brick dwarf walls with decorative iron railings.

Sources

Websites
UK Inventory of War Memorials , accessed 10 September 2018 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].