Lugwardine War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1460086
Date first listed:
06-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, A438, Junction of Rhystone Lane, Lugwardine, Herefordshire, HR1 4AW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lugwardine War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1460086 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:27:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, A438, Junction of Rhystone Lane, Lugwardine, Herefordshire, HR1 4AW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lugwardine
National Grid Reference:
SO5510641054

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Lugwardine War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a tall, elegant and well-executed stone cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter (Grade II*) a medieval churchyard cross (Grade II) and Porch House (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Lugwardine as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 27 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled in March 1919. It was originally located at the junction of Ledbury Road, A438 and Lumber Lane and moved for traffic reasons to its current position in the late C20/early C21.

The names of five parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position at the north-east corner of the churchyard, on the crossroads at the centre of the village, close to the Church of St Peter (Grade II*) and a medieval churchyard cross (Grade II).

The memorial comprises a floriated stone Latin cross on a tapering octagonal shaft, substantial square plinth and three-stepped octagonal base.

The main inscription in incised lettering on the west face of the plinth reads: IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO MADE THE/ SUPREME SACRIFICE/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914 – 1918/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE/. The names of the First World War fallen are listed on the other three faces of the plinth.

On the western face of the upper step of the base is the additional inscription: 1939 – 1945. The names of the fallen are listed on the two adjacent faces of the upper step.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 September 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32929
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 September 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/151756

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].