Eckington War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1460199
Date first listed:
06-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Street (B4080), New Road and Brakes Bridge Road, Eckington, Worcestershire, WR10 3AN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Eckington War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1460199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:28:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Street (B4080), New Road and Brakes Bridge Road, Eckington, Worcestershire, WR10 3AN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Eckington
National Grid Reference:
SO9217241505

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Eckington War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Church Street (B4080), New Road and Drakes Bridges Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an interesting and unusual example of an irregular monolithic memorial.

Group value:

* with the village cross (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Eckington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 18 April 1920 by the rector, Canon Ismay. When the memorial was erected, iron railings were installed around the perimeter of the triangle of grass upon which it stands and tropical shrubs were planted within the railings but these are no longer present. A cast iron statue of a lion in the grassed area may have come from nearby Bells Castle at Kemerton as another one is situated above a doorway there.

In November 1947 subscriptions were invited to add the names of five parishioners who fell during the Second World War. This work was carried out by John Bulford, a resident of Eckington.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position on a small triangle of grass at the junction of Church Street (B4080), New Road and Drakes Bridges Road, close to the village cross (Grade II). The memorial comprises an irregular carved stone monolith with a smoothed inscribed panel set on a rectangular concrete base.

The main inscription reads: IN GRATEFUL AND LOVING REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE UNRETURNING BRAVE OF THIS PARISH/ 1914 – 1919/ (21 NAMES)/ "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS"/ 1939 – 1945/ (5 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 6 November 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32359
War Memorials Online, accessed 6 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/232605/
Wilkes, N, 2014, 'Lest We Forget: A Record of those Eckington Servicemen who served and those who died in the First and Second World Wars', accessed 6 November 2017 from http://www.eckington.info/history/warprofiles.pdf

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].