Parish of Ellel War Memorial, Galgate


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:
St John's Churchyard, Chapel Lane, Galgate


Ordnance survey map of Parish of Ellel War Memorial, Galgate
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1460475 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 04:18:38.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
St John's Churchyard, Chapel Lane, Galgate
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial of 1921, with names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The Parish of Ellel War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of St John the Baptist in Galgate, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its good quality Gothic revival design which complements elements of the church.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St John the Baptist (National Heritage List for England 1164327).


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was erected in Galgate, commemorating the fallen of the parish of Ellel. It is believed to have had its foundation stone laid in October 1920, and to have been unveiled on 21 October 1921 (IWM), but no details of the ceremony have been found. It is believed that the names inscribed on the base are those of Second World War fallen, added along with the dates of that war after 1945. At the time of inspection (2017) power-washing had begun to erode the inscriptions, in particular those on the base.

The memorial is prominently sited in the churchyard at the west end of the church, facing west.


First World War memorial of 1921, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: grey sandstone.

PLAN: square.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a cross with shaft and rectangular plinth, on a square three-stepped base. The cross is an ornate Gothic wheelhead design. The three upper arms are hollow-chamfered and stopped, with domed pyramidal finials, while the bottom arm is chamfered with no stops, to an octagonal foot. The arms are linked by cusped sections, chamfered on the inner half and recalling the tracery of the West window behind. In the centre of the cross is a large Lancashire rose in deep relief. Beneath the foot is a square shaft with flat chamfers, which rises from a pylon-like plinth. The chamfers return to the left and right along the shoulders of the plinth but here are hollow, and are surmounted by tapering, buttress-like finials. The plinth is slightly-tapering and flares at its foot. The front face is inscribed in relief within inset labels:


The design is the same to the rear (east) face, but here the plinth is inscribed with the names of the 20 men who fell in the First World War, possibly in the order of their deaths as they are not alphabetical and no ranks are given. The left and right returns are approximately half the width of the front and rear faces.

The upper step of the base is inscribed with names on its north (three), east (four) and south (three) faces.


Books and journals
Brandwood, G, The Architecture of Sharpe Paley and Austin, (2012)
Imperial War Musuems War Memorials Register, accessed 26/09/18 from
Roll of Honour war memorials register, accessed 26/09/18 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 26/09/18 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building but not coloured blue on the map, are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act. However, any works to these structures which have the potential to affect the character of the listed building as a building of special architectural or historic interest may still require Listed Building Consent (LBC) and this is a matter for the Local Planning Authority (LPA) to determine.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].