Wymondham War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Town Green, Junction of Vicar Street and Middleton Street, Wymondham, Norfolk, NR18 0AB


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1460831.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2020 at 16:05:59.


Statutory Address:
Town Green, Junction of Vicar Street and Middleton Street, Wymondham, Norfolk, NR18 0AB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War Memorial.

Reasons for Designation

Wymondham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of an obelisk;

Group value:

* it is surrounded by numerous listed buildings, notably nos 6 and 8 Vicar Street to the west, nos 2 & 4 and 6 Town Green to the east, and the Methodist Church to the north, all listed at Grade II, with which it forms a group.


The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

At the annual Wymondham Parish Meeting in April 1919 a committee was set up to establish a war memorial. Various schemes were considered, including a cottage hospital, almshouses, nursing facilities, a monument in the Market Place or Fairland, church memorials, and a recreation ground. A proposal for a monument at an estimated cost of c£300-£500 was put forward but there was some disagreement as local people wanted a utilitarian form of memorial and some also argued that inscribing the names of the fallen on a monument would duplicate schemes already in hand at Wymondham Abbey and inside the parish church. By May 1920, however, the monument scheme had been settled on and a stone obelisk was unveiled in Town Green on 24 July 1921. The memorial commemorates 143 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, 43 men who fell in the Second World War, and 3 civilians killed during the Second World War by enemy action. In 2015, the nationally-produced VC slab for Company Sergeant Major Harry Daniels, Rifle Brigade, was incorporated into the paving at the foot of the monument.


First World War memorial.

MATERIALS: sandstone from Robin Hood quarry.

PLAN: the memorial is located in Town Green, at the junction of Vicar Street and Middleton Street.

EXTERIOR: the memorial is in the form of a stone obelisk on a tall, elaborate pedestal, with angle-set scrolled acanthus leaf console brackets. To each face is a segmental arch, beneath which is a shouldered inscription panel with foliate borders. The base of the obelisk has a wreath to each face; the front face has a Latin cross carved in relief to the shaft of the obelisk. The whole stands on a square three-stepped base, the corners of which are chamfered; at these corners are low inscription stones carrying the names of the dead of the Second World War. The memorial stands within an area of decorative paving surrounded by a border for planting (later addition). The pedestal bears the First World War names in incised and black painted lettering. The dedication is carved in relief around the bottom of the pedestal, and the Second World War inscription has been added to the low stones around the base in incised and black painted lettering. The dedicatory inscriptions are carved in relief with the names incised and painted.


Imperial War Museum Inventory , accessed 9 October 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20188
Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal, Saturday 5 April 1919, p.6; Saturday 12 April 1919, p.5; Saturday 19 April 1919, p.2; Saturday 1 May 1920, p.6


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].