Colwall War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1461608
Date first listed:
19-Dec-2018
Statutory Address:
Church of St James the Great, Memorial Garden, Old Colwall, Colwall, Herefordshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Colwall War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2019 at 01:59:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St James the Great, Memorial Garden, Old Colwall, Colwall, Herefordshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Colwall
National Grid Reference:
SO7393442270

Summary

A First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Colwall War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its compositional design as an accomplished and well-realised calvary cross; * for the sculptural interest of the figure of Christ and good-quality craftsmanship overall.

Group value:

* with the Church of St James (Grade II*) and several churchyard monuments (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Colwall as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled on Sunday 12 December 1920. The costs of the memorial were met by public subscription and by income from the sale of the music for the hymn ‘O Valiant Hearts’, composed by the Rector of Colwall, Reverend Dr Charles Harris, whose son Noel is commemorated on this memorial.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Conservation of the memorial was carried out in 2003 and 2004.

Details

A First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIAL: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands within a memorial garden to the south-east of the Church of St James the Great (Grade II*). It comprises a three-stepped octagonal base, a pedestal, and a tapering octagonal shaft surmounted by a stone calvary cross with a pitched canopy. The memorial is set upon a square, concrete platform. At the foot of the shaft on its east face are the letters RIP.

The east face of the pedestal carries the inscription: HONOUR THE BRAVE/ WHO FROM THIS PARISH/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1918/ MADE THE SUPREME/ SACRIFICE FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY/ AND FOR HUMANITY.

The west face is inscribed: “ALL THEY HAD HOPED FOR/ ALL THEY HAD THEY GAVE TO/ SAVE MANKIND THEMSELVES/ THEY SCORNED TO SAVE.”/ GRANT THEM, O LORD/ ETERNAL REST AND LET/ LIGHT PERPETUAL SHINE/ UPON THEM.

The 49 names of the fallen are recorded on the six other faces of the pedestal.

A further inscription has been added to the upper section of the pedestal: (east face) 1939–1945; (west face) THEIR NAME LIVETH/FOR EVERMORE/ ECCLESIASTICUS XLIV.14. The names of 13 parishioners who died in the Second World War are inscribed on the six other faces.

Sources

Websites
Colwall War Memorial at the Church of Saint James the Great, Old Colwall, accessed 20 November 2018 from http://colwallchurch.org/churchyard/war_memorial/index.html
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 20 November 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/627
War Memorials Online database , accessed 20 November 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121845/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].