Leaton War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
B5667, Leaton Heath, Leaton, Shrewsbury


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461734.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2021 at 22:40:36.


Statutory Address:
B5667, Leaton Heath, Leaton, Shrewsbury

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


A First World War memorial erected in 1920 or 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Leaton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed Latin cross with a sword of sacrifice, loosely derived from the architect Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘Cross of Sacrifice’ for the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Leaton Heath to the north-east of Shrewsbury as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 11 local men who lost their lives in the First World War, and to also commemorate all of those from this community who served in the conflict.

The memorial was made by Mr GL Harding at a cost of around £200. It was built to the Cross of Sacrifice design which was devised in 1919 by Sir Reginald Blomfield (1856-1942) for war cemeteries abroad, although it was also widely adopted in Britain. The memorial was unveiled in 1920 or 1921 by Brigadier General VJ Campbell, VC, CMG, DSO and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Shrewsbury. A few years later, four girls were charged with damaging the memorial by carving their initials into it. The memorial was cleaned and the inscriptions re-cut in 2007.


A First World War memorial erected in 1920 or 1921.

MATERIALS: Horton stone.

DESCRIPTION: located at the junction of the B5067 and the road to the neighbouring village of Fitz. It consists of a stone Latin cross, bearing a metal sword of sacrifice. The cross rises from an octagonal plinth on a three-stepped base. Each face of the plinth is recessed and carries an inscription in incised lettering.

The main inscription reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN PROUD MEMORY/ OF ELEVEN MEN/ OF LEATON/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918./ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE. The east and south faces record the names of the fallen under the heading KILLED IN ACTION/ OR DIED. The remaining faces list the names of the servicemen who returned from the conflict.

The war memorial stands on a gravelled area at the corner of the road junction with a curved dwarf stone wall to the rear. A modern metal crash barrier protects the memorial from road traffic.


Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: 13877, accessed 27 November 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13877
War Memorials Online: 109933 , accessed 27 November 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/109933/


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].