Howle Hill War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Sharman Pitch, Star Beech Hill, Howle Hill, Herefordshire, HR9 5SP


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461809.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2020 at 14:59:16.


Statutory Address:
Sharman Pitch, Star Beech Hill, Howle Hill, Herefordshire, HR9 5SP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Howle Hill War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its reflection of the rural character of the area, and its carving by a local craftsman.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Howle Hill, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was designed by Alfred William Ursell and unveiled on Sunday 4 July 1920. It was originally located close to the now-redundant Church of St John (1875) in the dispersed village of Howle Hill. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the men who fell in that conflict.

It is unknown why the memorial was moved to its present position. The war memorial was restored in 2016 following a grant from War Memorials Trust.


A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite, bronze.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands by a crossroads to the south of the main settlement of Howle Hill.

The memorial comprises a short, roughly-hewn granite cross on a single-stepped base. A Latin cross is carved into the front (south-west) face of the memorial, beneath which is a bronze plaque. A second smaller bronze plaque is attached to the front of the base of the memorial.

The main inscription on the bronze plaque attached to the cross reads: IN HONOUR / OF THE MEN OF HOWLE HILL / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND THOSE / WHO FOUGHT OVERSEAS IN / THE WAR 1914 – 1919 / THE FALLEN followed by 13 names of those who were lost. Below this is inscribed: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE / THOSE WHO FOUGHT OVERSEAS followed by an additional 38 names to commemorate those who fought.

An additional inscription on a bronze plaque attached to the base of the memorial reads: 1939 – 1945 followed by the six names of those who fell in the Second World War.


Imperial War Museum: War Memorials Register – Howle Hill , accessed 29/11/2018 from
War Memorial Restoration Co.: Portfolio – Howle Hill memorial , accessed 29/11/2018 from
War Memorials Online - Howle Hill , accessed 29/11/2018 from
War Memorials Trust: Showcase Result – Howle Hill , accessed 29/11/2018 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].