Drakes Bridge

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1461874

Date first listed: 06-Dec-2018

Statutory Address: Drakes Bridge Road, Eckington, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 3BN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Drakes Bridge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 00:49:21.

Location

Statutory Address: Drakes Bridge Road, Eckington, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 3BN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon (District Authority)

Parish: Eckington

National Grid Reference: SO9204141487

Summary

A timber-framed dwelling of C17 or C18 origin with C19 adaptations.

Reasons for Designation

Drakes Bridge, Eckington, a C17/C18 dwelling, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural and historic interest: * as a well-constructed and legible example of a rural dwelling of C18 date or earlier, built in the vernacular traditions of the area and retaining a substantial rubble stone chimney at the east end; * Drakes Bridge retains key structural and functional elements of its historic interior including chamfered beams, roof trusses and an inglenook fireplace, despite its remodelling in the C19.

History

The historic village of Eckington is centred on the Church of Holy Trinity (Grade II*), which has Norman origins and retains its early medieval layout with a number of C16 and C17 timber-framed cottages. Drakes Bridge is a dwelling of likely C17 origin, and the first known conveyance for the building is dated 1734. A building is shown on the Enclosure Map of 1813 and the Ordnance Survey Map of 1828-1832, prior to the coming of the Bristol & Birmingham branch of the Midland Railway close by to the east of the building. In 1840 during the construction of the railway the remains of a Romano-British settlement or building, possibly a villa, was discovered in the field to the north of Drakes Bridge. A settlement of this period in that area has been confirmed by later archaeological investigations at Manor Farm.

The Ordnance Survey Map of 1886 shows the railway as built, and Drakes Bridge as being subdivided into four separate dwellings with an attached range along three quarters of the length of the rear elevation. It is likely that the adaptations to create multiple dwellings included the insertion of first-floor accommodation and the re-fronting of the building in brick. Drakes Bridge has been adapted and modernised in the C20. In 2018 the building is unoccupied.

Details

A dwelling of C17 origin with C19 alterations.

MATERIALS: constructed of a timber frame and rubble stone with later red brick walls and stacks, and tile roofs.

PLAN: rectangular on plan and built on a south-west/north-east orientation there is an outshut addition spanning three of the rear bays, with a further modern addition projecting to its rear.

EXTERIOR: the four-bay road front has a door with tile-roofed porch to the right of centre. The bay to the left has a casement and there are C20 oriels to the far left and right bays on the ground floor. The first floor has C20 casements set high in the brick eaves dentil cornice. To the right flank is a projecting stone chimney with substantial offset roofs under plain tiles. A small brick infill outshut under a tiled roof forms the continuation of the fa├žade and has a small sealed opening facing west below the eaves. The stack is of red brick. To the west flank the central brick chimney breast widens at its base and stands forward of the wall. It has a brick stack. To the ground floor left is a casement and, further left, a door to the rear outshut. The rear elevation has casements to the first floor and an outshut to the central and right three bays. The left bay has a casement under a segmental brick head to the ground floor. The main pitched roof has an irregular ridgeline and a brick ridge stack.

INTERIOR: the entrance hall has a stair to the rear and a partition wall with exposed timber studwork. There are three principal rooms to the ground floor plus additional rooms to the rear outshut. The principal room to the east has a stone inglenook against the east wall with oak bressumer and a chamfered and stopped beam at ceiling level. The room to the west of the entrance hall also has an exposed ceiling beam. The first-floor has exposed timberwork including a roof truss in line with the stud wall to the entrance hall.

Sources

None.

End of official listing