Staunton on Wye War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1461930
Date first listed:
17-Jan-2019
Statutory Address:
Junction of A438 and Church Road, Staunton on Wye, Herefordshire, HR4 7NE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Staunton on Wye War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461930 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:08:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of A438 and Church Road, Staunton on Wye, Herefordshire, HR4 7NE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Staunton on Wye
National Grid Reference:
SO3739744541

Summary

First World War memorial, with added commemoration for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Staunton on Wye War Memorial located on the A438 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* an elegant and well-executed memorial in the form of a polished granite column surmounted by an orb.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Staunton on Wye, probably in the 1920s, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community of both Staunton on Wye and Monnington on Wye who lost their lives in the First World War.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, with added commemoration for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: The war memorial stands in an elevated location beside the A438 at its junction with Church Road, and to the south-east of the village. It takes the form of a plain column of polished granite surmounted by an orb and set on a square, rough-hewn stone plinth with a two-stepped square base. The main inscription in incised lettering on the front (south-east) face of the plinth reads PEACE. A bronze plaque attached to the south-west face carries the inscription SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THE PARISH WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914–1919./ (14 NAMES)/ R.I.P. Another bronze plaque attached to the north-east face of the plinth bears a further inscription ALSO OF THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE 1939–45 WAR/ (4 NAMES).

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The memorial stands on a paved area within an enclosure defined by painted cast-iron railings and a pedestrian gate. It is accessed from the roadside via four steps which were repaired in the early C21.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, Ref 33104, accessed 5 December 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33104
War Memorials Online database, Ref 91238, accessed 5 December 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/91238/
War Memorials Trust. Staunton on Wye, WM1722, accessed 5 December 2018 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=127

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].