Llangrove War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462046
Date first listed:
17-Jan-2019
Statutory Address:
Llangrove War Memorial, Junction of Church Lane, Llangrove, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 6EZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Llangrove War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462046 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:08:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
Llangrove War Memorial, Junction of Church Lane, Llangrove, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 6EZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Llangarron
National Grid Reference:
SO5269019218

Summary

A First World War memorial, dating from around 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Llangrove War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community of the events of the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* the memorial is a dignified and sombre Celtic-style cross, neatly made and well-proportioned

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Llangrove as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Details

A First World War memorial, dating from around 1920.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed of stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent roadside location in front of the primary school and a short distance from Christ Church (Grade II).

The memorial comprises a tall Celtic wheel-cross with tapering shaft on a tapering rectangular pedestal and single-stepped base. The face and shaft of the cross are decorated with carved interlace.

The main inscription in leaded lettering on the south face of the plinth reads: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THESE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR. A.D. 1914 – 1918/ (14 NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS,/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS/.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Inventory, accessed 26.09.2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32922
War Memorials Online, accessed 26.09.2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/230487/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].