Cinderford War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462075
Date first listed:
17-Jan-2019
Statutory Address:
Cinderford war memorial, The Triangle, Cinderford, Gloucestershire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cinderford War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462075 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:30:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Cinderford war memorial, The Triangle, Cinderford, Gloucestershire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Cinderford
National Grid Reference:
SO6566414082

Summary

A First World War memorial, designed by William Leah of Gloucester, with a sculpted figure by J Swift of Doncaster, unveiled in 1923; altered by the addition of further names after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Cinderford War Memorial, The Triangle, Cinderford, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a well-executed granite pedestal surmounted by the poignant sculpted figure of a First World War infantry soldier.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.  One such memorial was raised at Cinderford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 19 former pupils of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Cinderford War Memorial was designed by William Leah of Gloucester; the sculptor was J Swift of Doncaster. The cost of the memorial was £800, raised by public subscription. It was unveiled in a ceremony on 17 November 1923 by Field Marshal Sir John French, KP GCB OM GCVO KCMG, later the Earl of Ypres. Prior to the ceremony he inspected over 100 ex-servicemen who paraded to the memorial behind a procession headed by the band of the Royal Gloucester Hussars. He then addressed the crowd stating that the names inscribed on the memorial showed how thoroughly the Forest of Dean answered the call to arms. After the unveiling, the memorial was officially dedicated by the newly-appointed Bishop of Gloucester, Arthur Headlam.

Following the Second World War the names of the men who died in that conflict were added to the memorial, and a further inscription was added to honour soldiers who died in other conflicts in the C20.

Details

A First World War memorial, designed by William Leah of Gloucester, with a sculpted figure by J Swift of Doncaster, unveiled in 1923; altered by the addition of further names after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: bronze plaques and sculpture, granite pedestal and Portland stone platform.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial, about 2m high, consists of a high, four-sided pedestal of grey Cornish granite, with stepped, offset corners in a Moderne style, resting on a two-stepped platform of Portland stone. It is surmounted by a bronze figure of First World War infantry soldier, standing easy with rifle and fixed bayonet. The inscriptions, on bronze plaques, read: OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1914 - 1918/ THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED BY A GRATEFUL PUBLIC/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF CINDERFORD AND DISTRICT/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ SACRIFICE/ TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ CINDERFORD AND/ DISTRICT WHO FELL/ IN THE/ SECOND GREAT WAR/ 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES)/ REMEMBRANCE TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF CINDERFORD AND DISTRICT/ WHO FELL IN OTHER CONFLICTS/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Cinderford and District War Memorial, accessed 14.12.2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20620/
War Memorials Online Database, Cinderford and District War Memorial WMO103437 , accessed 14.12.2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/103437/
Other
Cinderford War Memorial Unveiled, Gloucestershire Chronicle, 24 November 1923
Cinderford War Memorial, Cheltenham Chronicle, 24 November 1923
Cinderford War Memorial, The Cheltenham and Gloucester Graphic, 24 November 1923

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].