Salwarpe War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462082
Date first listed:
05-Feb-2019
Statutory Address:
Salwarpe War Memorial, War Memorial Green, Copcut Lane, Salwarpe, Worcestershire, WR9 0AH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Salwarpe War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462082 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:41:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
Salwarpe War Memorial, War Memorial Green, Copcut Lane, Salwarpe, Worcestershire, WR9 0AH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Salwarpe
National Grid Reference:
SO8751761988

Summary

First World War memorial, erected in 1920, additional name added following the Second World War, restored between 2012 and 2014.

Reasons for Designation

Salwarpe War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is an elegant and well-carved memorial.

Group value:

* it forms a good group with other nearby listed buildings, including Salwarpe Bridge (Grade II), the Parish Church of St Michael (Grade II*) and Salwarpe Court (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Salwarpe as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was funded by public subscription and erected in 1920 on a small triangular area of land next to Salwarpe Bridge (listed Grade II). The name of a rector of the parish who lost his life during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.

Between 2012 and 2014 a programme of restoration was carried out on the war memorial and the surrounding land was also improved. The memorial was re-dedicated on Sunday 3 August 2014.

Details

First World War memorial, erected in 1920, additional name added following the Second World War, restored between 2012 and 2014.

MATERIALS: constructed of Portland stone with leaded lettering.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a wheel-cross with a tapering shaft and square plinth, and a three-stepped square base. The arms and shaft of the north face of the cross are decorated with relief-carved interlace. The main inscription in leaded lettering on the north face of the plinth reads IN GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO DIED FOR THEIR KING & COUNTRY/ AND ALSO OF ALL OTHER MEN OF/ SALWARPE WHO FOUGHT IN THE GREAT WAR/ AND (NAME), and the upper step of the base reads 1914-1918. The west plinth face reads (NAME)/ CHAPLAIN R.N.V.R/ RECTOR OF THIS PARISH/ 1935 - 1943, and the upper step of the base reads 1939-1945.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Salwarpe War Memorial, accessed 6 November 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32621
War Memorials Online database: Salwarpe War Memorial, accessed 6 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/228702/
Other
Hindlip, Martin Hussingtree and Salwarpe Parish Council, Restoration of war monument and surrounding memorial land, January 2019

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].