St Martins War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462112
Date first listed:
13-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
Overton Road, St Martins, Shropshire, SY11 3AY

Map

Ordnance survey map of St Martins War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462112 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:05:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
Overton Road, St Martins, Shropshire, SY11 3AY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Martin's
National Grid Reference:
SJ3235736820

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

St Martins War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-composed memorial with good quality decorative detailing, which survives unaltered.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, meaning that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at St Martins as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

St Martins War Memorial, built by Mr Lewis, was unveiled on 25 February by Brigadier General JV Campbell and dedicated by local clergy. It records the names of the 41 parishioners killed in the conflict, including, unusually, a woman: Sister Euginie Teggin.

Following the Second World War the names of the fallen from that conflict were added to the memorial. In 1995 a marble tablet commemorating the 50th anniversary of Victory in Europe and Victory in Japan days was added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.

PLAN: the memorial stands on the north side of Overton Road within a square enclosure.

MATERIALS: it is constructed from red sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a stone Celtic cross with knotwork design on the cross head, with a tapered shaft and plinth, and a two-stepped base.

The south face of the shaft is recessed and bears an incised inscription which reads ‘ERECTED / IN / GRATEFUL / MEMORY / OF THE MEN / OF / ST MARTINS / WHO / LAID DOWN / THEIR LIVES / IN THE / GREAT / WAR’. The foot of the cross shaft is incised 1914-1919. The south face of the plinth is recessed and lists the names of the 41 fallen from the First World War. Part of the south face of the top step of the base is cut at an angle and reads ‘1939 – 1945 / (7 NAMES). Below is the inscription ‘SEE TO IT THAT THEY SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN’. A black marble tablet reading ‘IN COMMEMORATION OF THE / 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF / VE AND VJ DAY / 1945 – 1995 / ST MARTINS PARISH COUNCIL’ abuts the south face of the upper step of the base.

The memorial stands on a concrete platform enclosed by modern metal railings.

Sources

Websites
Shropshire Historic Environment Record, St Martins War Memorial, ref 31392, accessed 06/03/2019 from http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCS_MSA34264/
St Martins Parishioners, accessed 18/12/2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13821
'St Martin's Parisioners' (ref WMO227075), War Memorials Online, accessed 18/12/2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/227075

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].