Eardisland War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Village Green, Eardisland, Herefordshire, HR6 9BW


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462190.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 07:07:32.


Statutory Address:
Village Green, Eardisland, Herefordshire, HR6 9BW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, of 1920s date, with later additions.

Reasons for Designation

Eardisland War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-crafted war memorial in the form of a Latin cross.

Group value:

* it has group value with a number of Grade II listed buildings in the village.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Eardisland as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 13 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was erected before 1927, as it is depicted on the Ordnance Survey map which was revised in that year.

The names of the three parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

The memorial was re-dedicated on 7 May 1995, to mark the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World War. It stands in a prominent roadside location close to the Cross Inn (Grade II) and on the opposite side of the road to the Manor House (Grade II).


First World War memorial, of 1920s date, with later additions.

MATERIALS: constructed of stone.

DESCRIPTION: comprising a plain Latin cross on a gently tapering octagonal shaft atop a square plinth with a chamfered top edge. The whole stands on a four-stepped octagonal base. A stone vase bearing an incised Latin cross is set on the second step down.

The main inscription in incised lettering on the north-west face of the plinth reads: (gold-painted lettering) TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ (black-painted lettering) AND IN LASTING/ MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ EARDISLAND WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR FOR HUMANITY/ AGAINST GERMANY AND HER ALLIES/ (gold-painted lettering)1914 – 1918/. The names of the fallen are incised in two lists on the north-east and south-west faces of the plinth.

The chamfered top edge of the north-west face of the plinth carries the additional inscription: 1939 – 1945/ (NAME)/, one additional name has been added to the chamfers on the north-east and south-west faces of the plinth too.

A small metal plaque with raised lettering has been added to the base of the cross shaft. It reads: THE MEMORIAL WAS REDEDICATED/ ON 7 MAY 1995/ COMMEMORATING FIFTY YEARS OF PEACE/ IN WESTERN EUROPE/.


National Inventory of War Memorials - Eardisland, accessed 21/03/2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33136
War Memorials Online - Eardisland, accessed 21/03/2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249059/


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].