No 14 St Andrews Road


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
No 14, St Andrews Road


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462263.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2021 at 16:59:25.


Statutory Address:
No 14, St Andrews Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rochford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


1253/0/10011 TQ87129061



House, 1930. Lawrence Crampton of Southend-on-sea for T.W. Offin. Rendered brick walls with blue brick copings to end stacks and flat garage roof. Hipped pantile roof. Crittall metal casement windows.

PLAN: Rectangular central entrance house with attached garage/scullery range.

EXTERIOR: WEST elevation to St. Andrews Road with pair of 4-over-8 metal casement windows with shallow projecting surrounds and shutters flanking central entrance. Brick steps to front door of 4 glazed lights and solid panel recessed into curved and fluted reveals with glazed panel to ceiling and shallow projecting porch. To first floor, central metal casement of 9 panes (3/3/3) flanked by single windows each of 3 panes. 1-storey garage attached to north with 3 sliding doors on track, that to right also folding, and blue brick on edge copings. Hipped roof with deep eaves and pair of endstacks with blue brick on edge copings. NORTH elevation with 6-pane (3/3) casement to first floor right. 1-storey advanced range with 2 doors to left, each with glazed panels and adjacent 2-pane window, under that to far left is low fuel access door. Prominent central chimneystack bisects projecting eaves. EAST elevation to garden with 14-pane (12 glazed) metal door within shallow projecting surround to left and with brick steps. 8-pane (4/4) metal window to right. 2-pane window to centre of ground floor below tall slender stair window of 6-panes, both set within shallow recess. To first floor, 6-pane window with narrow 3-pane window to each side. 1-storey scullery slightly advanced to right with blue brick on edge copings and 6-pane casement. SOUTH elevation with prominent central stack, full-width to ground floor through projecting eaves. 6-pane casement to first floor at left.

INTERIOR: Recessed entrance to central hall with rear stair. To right, full-depth living room with 2 exposed beams and joists above high picture rail. Fireplace to centre of outside wall with brick arch set in brick. Glazed doors to garden. To left, dining room with exposed joists on angle, and corner fireplace of brick arch set in brick. To left at rear, kitchen with exposed joists, built-in cupboards and access to scullery. Scullery with cold storage larder above fuel area with exterior access and built-in cupboards. Cloakroom below stair. Wood stairs with closed panelling to well and upstairs hall, and stepped cap newells. At first floor, 4 corner bedrooms each with moulded fireplace, those to left bedrooms placed at corner with ledges above. Each bedroom with 1 small and 1 large window and picture rail. Rear bedroom to left slightly smaller with adjacent room for water closet. Bathroom to centre front with vestibule with built-in linen cupboard. Architrave to panelled doors with vertical wood handles throughout. Garage with track for sliding doors and brick arched niche.

SUBSIDIARY: To St. Andrews Road, metal barrel railings and oak gate supported by rendered brick piers with blue brick copings and concrete plinth. Original presentation drawings and construction blueprints survive.

An intact and interesting suburban house of 1930 in a traditional and moderne style with original elevations, plan form and fittings.




This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].