Milestone at NGR SJ 29977 35737


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:
At the west side of the A5 trunk road, south of Gledrid roundabout and just north of where the road crosses the Llangollen Canal. Moreton Bridge, Weston Rhyn, SY11 3EN.


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462384.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 01:14:48.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
At the west side of the A5 trunk road, south of Gledrid roundabout and just north of where the road crosses the Llangollen Canal. Moreton Bridge, Weston Rhyn, SY11 3EN.
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Weston Rhyn
National Grid Reference:


Milestone on Thomas Telford's Holyhead Road, dating from 1826-7.

Reasons for Designation

The milestone at NGR SJ 29977 35737 on Thomas Telford's Holyhead Road, dating from 1826-1827, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* for its design by Thomas Telford, with use of good quality stone and cast iron to display the lettering.

Historic interest:

* for its association with the development of a major transport route in the early-C19, the Holyhead Road, surveyed by Thomas Telford, the first road in Britain since the Roman era to be publicly funded.

Group value:

* with the other original milestones along this route.


The 1800 Act of Union between Great Britain and Ireland placed increasing importance on the route between London and Holyhead, the main port for sea travel between Ireland and Britain. Thomas Telford was appointed to survey the route, and presented his plans to Parliament in 1811 and funds were authorised for the construction of the route in 1815, the first road in Britain since Roman times to be publicly funded. Some sections of the road used existing turnpikes, while others were new.

As was standard practice at the time, milestones were to be provided along the entire route. Telford's opinion of existing milestone designs was less than complimentary, and he commissioned a new design which was to be the standard for the new road. The budget for the milestones was £642, and 106 were eventually laid, beginning after the completion of the Menai Bridge linking mainland Wales to Anglesey, and the milestones were laid throughout 1826 and 1827.

Telford specified that each milestone was to use the same stone, and one which was light in colour and hard wearing. The chosen stone came from the limestone quarries at Red Wharf Bay, and was the same as that used for the Menai Bridge. Each stone had a cast iron plate displaying the mileage to Holyhead firstly, and other locations below. The plate was painted black, and the lettering seems to have been picked out in a contrasting colour.


Milestone on Thomas Telford's Holyhead Road, dating from 1826-7.

MATERIALS: Red Wharf Bay limestone with cast iron.

DESCRIPTION: the milestone stands just north of the point where the road crosses the Llangollen Canal, on the west side of the road.

The design of the milestone tapers from bottom to top, where it finishes in a pointed head. The cast iron panel is recessed into the front, and reads:

HOLY-/ HEAD/ 85 - M/ SALOP/ 21 M - 6 F.


Books and journals
Falconer, K, Guide to Englands Industrial Heritage, (1980), 186
Shropshire Historic Environment Record ref.21049, accessed 11.1.2019 from
'Thomas Telford's Milestones', David Elis-Williams, 2018


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].