Plumtree War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462497
Date first listed:
12-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
St Mary's Church, Church Hill, Plumtree, Nottinghamshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Plumtree War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462497.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:03:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Mary's Church, Church Hill, Plumtree, Nottinghamshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Plumtree
National Grid Reference:
SK6148233102

Summary

Plumtree War Memorial was unveiled by Major T P Barber DSO on 9 January 1921. The names of those who died in the Second World War have also been added.

Reasons for Designation

Plumtree War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a Celtic cross decorated with the sword of sacrifice.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Grade I listed Church of St Mary’s and the early C19 rectory and its gateway and wall, both listed at Grade II.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial in Plumtree was unveiled by Major T P Barber DSO on 9 January 1921. The Venerable Archdeacon of Nottingham preached the sermon and dedicated the memorial. The name of George Taylor, who died in 1921 and is buried in the churchyard, was added to the memorial in 2014. The names of those who died in the Second World War have also been added.

Details

Plumtree War Memorial was unveiled by Major T P Barber DSO on 9 January 1921. The names of those who died in the Second World War have also been added.

MATERIALS: hewn granite.

PLAN: the memorial is located in the churchyard of St Mary’s Church, to the west of the Grade I listed church.

EXTERIOR: it is in the form of a Celtic cross mounted on a rhomboid plinth and three-stepped base. The west face bears the sword of sacrifice in relief. The east face of the plinth is inscribed with the following: HALLOWED BE THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914 - 1919/ (Names)/ THE VICTOR HEROES REST IN MANY LANDS BUT HERE THE SYMBOL OF THEIR GLORY STANDS. The north face is inscribed 1939-1945/ (Names) / ALSO 1914-1919 / (Name).

Sources

Websites
Nottinghamshire County Council Roll of Honour , accessed 19 January 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/23
UK Inventory of War Memorials , accessed 16 January 2019 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].