Upton Grey War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462499
Date first listed:
08-Mar-2019
Location Description:
Located at the southern corner of the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Church Street, Upton Grey, Hampshire.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Upton Grey War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462499 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:12:34.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Located at the southern corner of the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Church Street, Upton Grey, Hampshire.
County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton Grey
National Grid Reference:
SU6974648413

Summary

First World War memorial, designed by G Maile and Son, it was dedicated in December 1919. The names of the fallen of the Second World War were subsequently added.

Reasons for Designation

Upton Grey War Memorial, Upton Grey, Hampshire is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed example of one of the common forms of First World War memorial by a well-regarded firm of memorial masons.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The Upton Grey War Memorial was dedicated in December 1919. It was designed and erected by G Maile and Son at a cost of £140. Additional names were added after the Second World War. The memorial was restored and surrounding paving added in 2014-15.

G Maile and Son were masons, sculptors and church furnishers (especially known for stained glass), based in Euston Road, London. They were responsible for numerous war memorials across the country

Details

First World War memorial, designed by G Maile and Son, and dedicated in December 1919. The names of the fallen of the Second World War were subsequently added.

MATERIALS: rough hewn Cornish granite with lead lettering.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on a grass bank facing Church Street at the southern corner of the churchyard of the Church of St Mary. With a total height of 2.7m, it consists of a wheel cross with a crusader's sword in relief on the front face. The tapering shaft is mounted on a square plinth with a tapered base. The front face of the plinth bears the inscription ‘FOR/ KING AND COUNTRY. / IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS/ PARISH WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1918’. The names and ranks of the 15 fallen are inscribed on the sides of the plinth. The tapered front edge of the base bears the inscription ‘AND IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945 followed by a single name.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Register of War Memorials: 21308 - Upton Grey Memorial Wheel Cross, accessed 16 January 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/21308
War Memorials Online: 156878 - Upton Grey War Memorial, accessed 16 January 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/156878

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].