Stanton-on-the-Wolds War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462514
Date first listed:
12-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of All Saints, Browns Lane, Stanton-on-the-Wolds, Nottinghamshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stanton-on-the-Wolds War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:11:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of All Saints, Browns Lane, Stanton-on-the-Wolds, Nottinghamshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton on the Wolds
National Grid Reference:
SK6321030590

Summary

First World War Memorial, erected in 1920 and moved to its present position in 1999. It was rededicated at a service conducted by Bishop Roy Williamson on 30 October 1999.

Reasons for Designation

Stanton-on-the-Wolds War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a Celtic cross;

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Group value:

* it has group value with the Grade II-listed Church of All Saints and the two Grade II-listed groups of C18 and C19 slate headstones in the churchyard.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial in Stanton-on-the-Wolds was erected in 1920 near the north-west corner of the church. The cost of the memorial was raised by public subscription (£21 11s) and it was made by William Bryans, the Overseer of Stanton for the Bingham Union. The memorial was cleaned and moved to its present position in a new memorial area outside the old churchyard in 1999. It was rededicated at a service conducted by Bishop Roy Williamson on 30 October 1999.

Details

First World War Memorial.

MATERIALS: limestone.

PLAN: the memorial is located within a small memorial area on the southern approach to the Grade II-listed Church of All Saints.

EXTERIOR: the memorial is in the form of a Celtic cross mounted on a tapering square plinth. On front of the plinth, in metal relief, is the following inscription: IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF THE FOLLOWING PARISHIONERS WHO FELL IN THE GREAT EUROPEAN WAR 1914-1919 (NAMES). THEY HAVE FOUGHT A GOOD FIGHT.

Sources

Websites
Nottinghamshire County Council Roll of Honour, accessed 16 January 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/28
Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project , accessed 16 January 2019 from http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/stanton-on-the-wolds/hwarmem.php
UK Inventory of War Memorials , accessed 16 January 2019 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].