Bleasby War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462523
Date first listed:
30-May-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary's Church, Main Street, Bleasby, Nottinghamshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bleasby War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462523.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 04:35:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary's Church, Main Street, Bleasby, Nottinghamshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Bleasby
National Grid Reference:
SK7177349543

Summary

Bleasby War Memorial was unveiled on 2 August 1920. Following the Second World War the names of those who fell during that conflict were added.

Reasons for Designation

Bleasby War Memorial, unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a churchyard cross embellished with Celtic style carving.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Grade II listed St Mary’s Church.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Bleasby as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War

A faculty dated 28 June 1920 gave permission for a memorial cross made of Cornish granite to be erected in St Mary's churchyard, Bleasby. It was unveiled on 2 August 1920. The names of the men from the parish who fell in the Second World War were later added. The memorial was cleaned and restored in 2018 and two additional names of men who died in the Second World War were added.

Details

Bleasby War Memorial was unveiled on 2 August 1920. Following the Second World War the names of those who fell during that conflict were added.

MATERIALS: granite.

PLAN: the memorial is located in the churchyard of the Grade II listed St Mary’s Church, just to the north-east of the lychgate.

EXTERIOR: the memorial is in the form of a Celtic cross rising from a tapered plinth on a low square base. The head of the cross and base of the shaft are embellished with Celtic style carving. On the plinth in lead relief is the following inscription: THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THE PARISHES OF BLEASBY AND/ HALLOUGHTON WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ "MAKE THEM TO BE NUMBERED WITH THY SAINTS/ IN GLORY EVERLASTING"/ (NAMES)/ 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Nottinghamshire County Council Roll of Honour , accessed 17 January 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/39
Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project , accessed 17 January 2019 from http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/bleasby/hwarmem.php
UK Inventory of War Memorials , accessed 17 January 2019 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].