Upton Pyne War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462711
Date first listed:
28-Feb-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of Our Lady, Upton Pyne Hill, Upton Pyne, Devon, EX5 5JA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Upton Pyne War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462711.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:50:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of Our Lady, Upton Pyne Hill, Upton Pyne, Devon, EX5 5JA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton Pyne
National Grid Reference:
SX9102397699

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected in 1920, altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Upton Pyne War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* the memorial is a dignified and solemn stone cross, made from local stone and well proportioned.

Historic interest:

* as witness to the impact of the events of the First World War on the local community, and the desire for remembrance following the tragic loss of life.

Group value:

* it has group value with other listed buildings nearby, principally the Grade I-listed Church of Our Lady and the Grade II-listed cross, located in the same churchyard.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead. The memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this loss.

One such memorial was raised at Upton Pyne as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 16 members of the local community who lost their lives in the war.

The memorial was unveiled by the Earl of Iddesleigh and dedicated by the Bishop of Crediton on Sunday 24 October 1920. The cost of the memorial was £100, and this was raised by public subscription.

The name of one parishioner who fell during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected in 1920, altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS AND PLAN: the memorial is constructed of pale grey Devon granite. It stands in the churchyard, beside the entrance to the Church of Our Lady and a short distance from a late medieval churchyard cross.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a plain Latin cross with a gently tapering shaft on a substantial square plinth and two-stepped octagonal base. It is approximately 3.65m high.

The main inscription on the west face of the plinth reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ THIS CROSS IS ERECTED IN PROUD AND/ GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR COUNTRY AND HOME IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918/ (NAMES)/ THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE.

A further inscription on the south face of the plinth reads:

2ND WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945/ (NAME).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 8.11.2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25432
War Memorials Online, accessed 8.11.2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/229831/
Other
'To the Fallen. Upton Pyne Memorial Unveiled', Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, Friday 29 October 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].