Ollerton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462834
Date first listed:
07-Jun-2019
Statutory Address:
Main Street/Newark Road, Ollerton, Nottinghamshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ollerton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:58:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
Main Street/Newark Road, Ollerton, Nottinghamshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Ollerton and Boughton
National Grid Reference:
SK6532867440

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, with Second World War and later additions.

Reasons for Designation

Ollerton War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, with Second World War and later additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a Crusader cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Ollerton in Nottinghamshire as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 16 men of the parish whom lost their lives during the conflict. It was unveiled by Lady Savile and dedicated by Reverend GJA D'Arcy, rural dean of Worksop, on 30 September 1920. It was designed and constructed by R Thompson, monumental mason of Ollerton, at a cost of £179 13s 10d with an additional sum of £40 for the concrete base. The site, which was locally known as 'the Triangle', was donated by Lord Savile of Rufford Abbey who also paid for the laying out of the site as a memorial garden.

Following the Second World War a dedication was added to commemorate the 47 parishioners who fell in that conflict. The names of single individuals killed in Cyprus in 1956 and Northern Ireland in 1989 have subsequently been added.

In 2011 the memorial was cleaned.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, with Second World War and later additions. It was designed and constructed by R Thompson of Ollerton.

MATERIALS: of Hopton Wood limestone.

DESCRIPTION: Ollerton War Memorial stands at the centre of a triangular-shaped memorial garden which is bounded by Main Street/Newark Road on the south-west, the River Maun to the north-west and the mill race to Ollerton watermill to the east.

The memorial, which stands some 3.5m high, takes the form of a Crusader cross which rises from a tall, tapering, rectangular shaft. The shaft stands on a deep, trapezoidal plinth, rectangular on plan, which in turn sits on a square, three-step base. The whole stands on a concrete foundation.

The principal dedicatory inscription is in leaded lettering on the lower section of the shaft's south-west (front) face and reads 'ERECTED / BY THE INHABITANTS / OF OLLERTON, / TO THE GLORY OF GOD, / AND IN GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF THOSE / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1918.' On the plinth below are the names of the 16 men who died in this conflict along with the names of a further 15 men who died during the Second World War.

Placed on the second step of the base is a mid-C20 memorial flower vase inscribed 'IN MEMORY OF / TERENCE ARTHUR / GILLOTT / DIED ON ACTIVE / SERVICE IN CYPRUS / AUG. 28TH 1956 / AGED 21 YEARS'. On the step below is a late-C20 stone memorial tablet inscribed 'IN MEMORY OF / CORPORAL STEPHEN RUSSELL McCONIGLE / KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE IN NORTHERN IRELAND / ON 4TH MAY 1989, AGED 30.'

The memorial stands at the centre of a square-shaped flower bed which is defined by concrete kerbstones and a chain link fence of late date. It is accessed from the north-east and south-east sides by early-C21 tarmac footpaths edged by concrete kerb stones. All these features are not of special interest and are therefore excluded from the listing.

Sources

Websites
Information on Ollerton War Memorial from Nottinghamshire County Council's Great War Roll of Honour website , accessed 31 January 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/WarMemorials/Details/133
Information on Ollerton War Memorial from the Imperial War Museum's War Memorials Register, accessed 31 January 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3883
Other
Information on Ollerton War Memorial from Nottinghamshire County Council's Historic Environment Record: HER Number M18733 - MNT26433, Olerton War Memorial

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building but not coloured blue on the map, are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act. However, any works to these structures which have the potential to affect the character of the listed building as a building of special architectural or historic interest may still require Listed Building Consent (LBC) and this is a matter for the Local Planning Authority (LPA) to determine.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].