Hoghton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462843
Date first listed:
20-Mar-2019
Location Description:
roadside opposite entrance to Hoghton Tower, Hoghton Lane

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hoghton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462843.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 02:21:07.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
roadside opposite entrance to Hoghton Tower, Hoghton Lane
County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoghton
National Grid Reference:
SD6139526137

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 1924, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Hoghton War Memorial, of 1924, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for the strong design interest of the wayside cross with shrine, octagonal shaft and well-crafted detailing, complemented by the surfacing and enclosure features.

Group value:

* with Hoghton Tower Registered Park and Garden (Grade II) and Hoghton Tower (Grade I-listed), the home of one of those commemorated whose father contributed the land and also towards the cost of the memorial, opposite the entrance of which the memorial stands.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Hoghton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 16 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The land on which the memorial stands, opposite the entrance to Hoghton Tower (Grade I-listed) at the foot of the tower’s long, straight drive, was given by the owner of the tower, Sir James de Hoghton, whose third son was killed in 1915 and is named on the memorial. Captain de Hoghton is also commemorated in the church of the Holy Trinity at Hoghton and on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission memorial at Loos, where he died. Sir James contributed to the cost of the memorial, funds for which were also raised by subscription and fundraising events. The memorial was unveiled on the 12 January 1924, with Rev ET Kerby, vicar of Heyside (Oldham), dedicating the memorial. Rev Kerby served at Gallipoli, where he buried over 1,000 Manchester men of 27 Brigade. He spoke of the importance of perpetual reminders of the bravery of those who risked their lives, and of the horrific nature of war. Unusually, the memorial commemorates a death from wounds which took place as late as 1923.

Following the Second World War, the names of three servicemen who died in that conflict were added to the memorial. It appears that stone plaques bearing the inscriptions have been added over the original name inscriptions which were presumably inscribed into the plinth. In 2016 the setts surrounding the base of the cross were relaid.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled 1924, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: limestone.

DESCRIPTION: the limestone monument comprises a wayside cross on an octagonal shaft with plinth and four-stepped base. Each square step has a segmental central projection and chamfered nosing, the upper step having a hollow chamfer. The square plinth rises to become octagonal with decorative finials on the angles. The shaft has a moulded foot and is slightly fluted with ring mouldings to its capital. The square shrine is supported by four angels and has a pitched roof with sprocketed eaves, and angle buttresses.

The shrine faces east towards Hoghton Tower, with a crucifixion surrounded by cusped tracery. The north and south faces have blind cusped tracery and a shield with garlands. The west face has a niche with cusped tracery and a statue of St George.

Each face of the plinth bears a slate plaque into which the inscriptions have been carved in relief. The eastern inscription reads IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF HOGHTON WHO/ FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ A.D. 1914 – 1918/ 1915/ (3 NAMES).

The north face reads 1916/ (1 NAME)/ 1917/ (2 NAMES)/ 1918/ (2 NAMES), while the south face reads 1918/ (6 NAMES)/ 1919/ (2 NAMES)/ DIED OF WOUNDS 1923. The west face reads AND IN MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF HOGHTON WHO FELL/ IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR/ A.D. 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES)/ THEY DIED THAT WE/ MIGHT LIVE IN FREEDOM.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the memorial stands on a circular area of setts, with a cobbled rear bank descending to a semi-circular path and low stone wall with hog’s-back copings, and punctuated by square pillars. Hexagonal stone bollards define the front boundary.

Sources

Books and journals
'A Garden Fete And Sale Of Work' in Lancashire Evening Post, (8 September 1920), 1
'Hoghton Memorial: Former Army Chaplain And The Horrors Of War' in Lancashire Evening Post, (14 January 1924), 6
Websites
Imperial War Museums register, accessed 31/01/19 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42365
Photographs on Flickr by Chris Newman, accessed 31/01/19 from https://www.flickr.com/photos/zacerin/27958523240
War Memorials Online register, accessed 31/01/19 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/137504

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].