Burwash Weald War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462978
Date first listed:
26-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Philip churchyard, Ticehurst Road, Burwash Weald, East Sussex, TN19 7NA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Burwash Weald War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462978 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:23:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Philip churchyard, Ticehurst Road, Burwash Weald, East Sussex, TN19 7NA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Burwash
National Grid Reference:
TQ6401223654

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The Burwash Weald War Memorial in the church yard of the Church of St Philip, Burwash Weald is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * as a well-executed example of one of the common forms of First World War memorials.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Burwash Weald as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 32 members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. 

Burwash Weald War Memorial, erected by Messrs Burslem, was unveiled around 1922. The cost of the memorial was raised by public subscription. Following the Second World War the names of 10 fallen from that conflict were added to the memorial. In 2017 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid administered by War Memorials Trust.

A Burslem and Son (founded in 1853) were memorial masons based in Tunbridge Wells. They were responsible for working on a number of war memorials in the south-east of England.

Details

First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite with lead lettering.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located in the Church of St Philip churchyard and consists of a rough-hewn granite wheel-headed cross with a sword carved in relief on the front face of the cross head and shaft. The cross shaft rises from a plinth on a rectangular two-stepped base.

An inscription on the base of the front face of the cross shafts reads 1914-1919. The front face of the plinth is recessed and bears the inscription TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS/ PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”. The names of the fallen from the Second World War are inscribed on one side of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Register of War Memorials: 16972 - St Philip's Church, accessed 6 February 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/16972
Roll of Honour: Burwash Common and Burwash Weald War Memorial, accessed 6 February 2019 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/BurwashCommon.html
War Memorials Online: 229418 - Burwash Weald, accessed 6 February 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/229418

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].