Kirkoswald War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463175
Date first listed:
27-Mar-2019
Location Description:
Sited in The Square, Kirkoswald, Cumbria at NY 55500 41211.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Kirkoswald War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:06:03.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Sited in The Square, Kirkoswald, Cumbria at NY 55500 41211.
County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirkoswald
National Grid Reference:
NY5550041211

Summary

First World War memorial of 1924 in the form of a medieval-style market cross.

Reasons for Designation

Kirkoswald War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following reasons:

Historical Interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * for preserving the site of Kirkoswald’s medieval market cross.

Architectural Interest: * as a good example of a war memorial modelled on a medieval-style market cross.

Group value: * with the Grade II-listed Village Stocks immediately adjacent to the west.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was unveiled by Colonel T Fetherstonhaugh on the 26 December 1920 in the square at the centre of Kirkoswald. The memorial was built by local craftsmen Mr H Graves of Lazonby, Messrs Ficher of Great Salkeld and Clementson of Kirkoswald as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community. It lists the names of 18 local men who died in the First World War with a plaque added after the Second World War listing the names of the four men from Kirkoswald who died in that conflict. The memorial, in the form of a medieval-style market cross, was placed on the site of Kirkoswald’s earlier market cross. It is not known if the memorial was a copy of the original cross.

Details

War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: red sandstone with bronze plaques.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is in the form of a medieval market cross with a patonce cross (a cross with arms that expand outwards, the ends being divided into triple points imitating leaves) raised on a tall, chamfered shaft set on a plinth, the plinth being placed at the top of a set of three steps. The steps rise from a red sandstone pavement and are within an enclosure of iron railings with a gate to the west. The east face of the steps, facing the main road, carries the inscription:

1914-1918 ENOUGH THAT VALOUR FILLS THE SPACE BETWEEN

Above, affixed to the plinth, there is a bronze plaque with the names and ranks of 18 men ordered by surname. On the south face there is a similar bronze plaque commemorating the Second World War, listing the names and rank of four further men.

Sources

Websites
War Mamorials Register entry held be the Imperial War Museum, accessed 20/2/19 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2994
Other
Newspaper report: Cumberland News 1/1/1921 page 8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building but not coloured blue on the map, are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act. However, any works to these structures which have the potential to affect the character of the listed building as a building of special architectural or historic interest may still require Listed Building Consent (LBC) and this is a matter for the Local Planning Authority (LPA) to determine.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].