Whippingham War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mildred, Beatrice Avenue, Whippingham


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463218.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 22:08:05.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Mildred, Beatrice Avenue, Whippingham

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, erected in 1919 to the design of Percy Stone.

Reasons for Designation


The war memorial at Whippingham is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events upon all sections of this small community.

Architectural interest: * the memorial was designed by the architect and historian Percy Stone, whose career was devoted to the study and restoration of the island’s historic fabric; * for its careful and well-detailed design.

Group value:

* with the mid-C19 Grade I- listed church of St Mildred, and its Grade II-listed lychgate; the Victoria and Albert Almshouses of 1880 to the north, and the early-C19 rectory to the south, both listed at Grade II.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result both of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Whippingham War Memorial, situated in the churchyard of St Mildred, was erected to commemorate the 14 men of the parish of Whippinham who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was designed by local architect Percy Stone, and unveiled by Princess Beatrice, youngest child of Queen Victoria and Governor of the Isle of Wight.

When it was first constructed the names of the fallen were not recorded on the memorial itself, but instead on a panel within the church. At a later date this panel was relocated to an exterior wall of the church, directly behind the war memorial; a second plaque was added recording the five names of those lost in the Second World War.

The Church of St Mildred, built between 1854 and 1862 to the designs of Albert Jenkins Humbert, is the estate church for Osborne House, the summer residence of Queen Victoria. Prince Maurice of Battenburg, son of Princess Beatrice and grandson of Queen Victoria, is the first of those named on the memorial plaque. Prince Maurice, who served as a lieutenant in the King’s Royal Rifle Corps, was killed during the Ypres Salient on 27 October 1914 when he was struck by shrapnel from a bursting shell. Princess Beatrice had married her husband, Prince Henry of Battenburg, in St Mildred’s Church in 1885 and following this spent much of her time on the Isle of Wight, particularly after she was made Governor in 1896. The church contains memorials to Albert, Prince Consort, to children of Victoria and Albert, and to Prince Henry of Battenburg.

The architect and antiquarian Percy Goddard Stone (1856-1934) was born in London, the son of the architect Coutts Stone. He was articled to George Devey in 1875, and was briefly an assistant to his brother-in-law William (later Sir William) Emerson. He entered into partnership with his father in 1879, remaining in London until the late 1890s when he moved to the Isle of Wight.

Stone became the island’s historian, with a particular interest in Carisbrooke Castle, on which he undertook restorations under the patronage of Princess Beatrice, from circa 1898. In 1904 the rebuilt Chapel of St Nicholas was dedicated as a memorial to Charles I. Stone completed the restoration in 1929, when it was rededicated as the County War Memorial. Stone’s other war memorials on the island include the Grade II-listed memorials at Bembridge, Freshwater and Whitwell and those at Arreton, Brading and Sandown.


First World War memorial, erected in 1919 to the design of Percy Stone. The memorial takes the form of a Calvary cross, with separate but associated wall plaques. The memorial stands in the churchyard of St Mildred, to the south of the nave, with the south porch to the west and the south transept to the east. Plaques recording the names of the fallen are fixed to the south wall of the nave of the church, which is listed at Grade I.

MATERIALS: Portland stone plinth and steps, with a teak cross, a bronze figure of Christ and a bronze plaque. The wall plaques behind are of granite.

DESCRIPTION: the teak shaft of the cross is square in section, with chamfered corners, and tapers from the base, which is encircled by a trefoiled bronze or brass collar, recalling the form of a coronet. The gabled Calvary canopy has shaped bargeboards. A bronze figure of Christ is affixed, with a bronze sign reading ‘INRI’ above. The stone plinth has projecting gables at the four angles of the shaft; between the two front gables a bronze plaque is set beneath a billeted band. The inscription reads, ‘GREATER LOVE HATH/ NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN/ HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS’ (John 15:13). The plinth stands on a base formed of two octagonal steps.


English Heritage website, accessed 20 July 2017 from http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/carisbrooke-castle/things-to-see-and-do/who-was-princess-beatrice/
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 20 February 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/40871
Isle of Wight 'Hidden Heroes' website, accessed 25 March 2019 from https://iwhiddenheroes.org.uk/percy-goddard-stone-fsa-friba/
Isle of Wight Memorials website, accessed 11 April 2017 from www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/towns/whippinghamwm.htm
War Memorials Online - entry for stone tablets on Church of St Mildred, accessed 20 February 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/251754/
War Memorials online - entry for Whippingham War Memorial, accessed 20 February 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/214950
Website of St Mary the Virgin, Carisbrooke, accessed 7 February 2019 from http://carisbrookestmary.org.uk/st-nicholas-in-castro/
‘Brave Prince Maurice’, Sheffield Daily Telegraph, (29 October 1914), p8
‘Death of Prince Maurice’, Belfast News-Letter, (29 October 1914), p5
‘King George Loses a Cousin’, Yorkshire Evening Post, (28 October 1914), p3
‘Prince Maurice’, Globe, (31 October 1914), p5
Isle of Wight County Archaeology and Historic Environment Service Monument Full Report Number 5919 - MIW7281


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].