Whimple War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463251
Date first listed:
28-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, The Square, Whimple, Exeter, Devon

Map

Ordnance survey map of Whimple War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:22:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, The Square, Whimple, Exeter, Devon

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Whimple
National Grid Reference:
SY0439897191

Summary

First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Whimple War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a thoughtfully-designed and simple memorial in the form of a Latin cross.

Group value:

* it groups well with a number of listed buildings in The Square and also the Church of St Mary (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Whimple, within the churchyard, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 22 members of the local community who lost their lives during the First World War. Contemporary newspapers report that the design was based on an ancient cross in the churchyard at Harpford a village to the south-east. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 21 March 1920 and dedicated by the Dean of Exeter.

The names of the parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is situated prominently within the churchyard to the south of the Church of St Mary (Grade II*). It is carved from granite and comprises a Latin cross on a tall octagonal shaft with a three-stepped octagonal base.

The upper section of the base has the inscription in lead lettering: IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN 1914 1919 on seven of its eight sides; a small cross is inscribed on the eighth face. The middle step is inscribed with the names of the fallen, and the lower section is inscribed: 1939 – 1945 / (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Devon & Dartmoor HER, Whimple War Mmeorial, HER no. MDV104726, accessed 22 February 2019 from http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MDV104726&resourceID=104
Devon Heritage, Whimple – The War Memorial, accessed 22 February 2019 from http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Whimple/Whimple-TheWarMemorial.htm
War Memorials Online, Whimple, Ref. WM0252257, accessed 22 February 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/252257/
War Memorials Register, Whimple – Cross, accessed 22 February 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25448
Other
Western Times, Friday 26 March 1920, Dedication of a Granite Cross in Churchyard

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].