Edwinstowe and Clipstone War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463357
Date first listed:
08-May-2019
Statutory Address:
Mansfield Road, Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire, NG21 9QA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Edwinstowe and Clipstone War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:13:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
Mansfield Road, Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire, NG21 9QA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Edwinstowe
National Grid Reference:
SK6257966846

Summary

War memorial, designed and executed by Lidster and Bramer of Worksop, unveiled in a ceremony in December 1920, and dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars.

Reasons for Designation

Edwinstowe and Clipstone War Memorial, designed and executed by Lidster and Bramer of Worksop, unveiled in a ceremony in December 1920, and dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as a modest but well-executed memorial.

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value: * for the strong geographic group value the war memorial holds with nearby listed buildings, including numbers 1, 3 and 5 Church Street (listed at Grade II), and the Church of St Mary (listed at Grade I).

History

The aftermath of the First World War (1914-1918) saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Edwinstowe as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 28 members of the local community of Edwinstowe and Clipstone who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was designed and executed by Lidster and Bramer of Worksop, and unveiled in a ceremony in December 1920. Following the Second World War (1939-1945), the names of 14 members of the local community who lost their lives were added to the war memorial.

Details

War memorial, designed and executed by Lidster and Bramer of Worksop, unveiled in a ceremony in December 1920, and dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is constructed of grey Cornish granite, and takes the form of a Celtic cross with a tapered shaft, on a two-stepped tapered plinth and two-stepped base, surrounded by a square-plan section of stone paving with a stone ball finial to each corner. The front (north-east) elevation of the shaft bears the following painted inscription: TO THE / GLORY OF / GOD / AND IN / PROUD / MEMORY / OF THE MEN / OF / EDWINSTOWE / AND / CLIPSTONE / WHO FELL IN / THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918; and the upper step of the plinth bears the 28 names of the fallen in two columns. The lower step of the plinth bears the following painted inscription: IN PROUD MEMORY OF THE MEN OF EDWINSTOWE / WHO FELL IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR 1939 – 1945; followed by the 14 names of the fallen in two columns. The war memorial stands within a memorial garden at the corner of Church Street and Mansfield Road in Edwinstowe, bounded by a low stone wall and stone piers, and approached from the north-east corner by a double-leaf metal gate and six stone steps.

Sources

Websites
Edwinstowe Historical Society, ‘War memorial – the unveiling ceremony’, accessed 28 February 2019 from https://edwinstowehistory.org.uk/local-history/war-years/war-memorial/
Nottinghamshire County Council, ‘Edwinstowe and Clipstone Cross’, accessed 28 February 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/89
Other
Newark and Sherwood District Council, Survey of Outdoor War Memorials, (November 2018), p94

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].