Lymm War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463402
Date first listed:
08-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Church Road, Lymm, Warrington, WA13 0AP

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lymm War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:18:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Church Road, Lymm, Warrington, WA13 0AP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lymm
National Grid Reference:
SJ6821086838

Summary

A First World War memorial of 1921, after Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘cross of sacrifice’ design, with an additional inscription after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Lymm War Memorial, a First World War memorial of 1921 with an additional inscription after the Second World War, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for the strong design interest of the octagonal-section Latin cross, closely based on Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘cross of sacrifice’ design.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary the Virgin (National Heritage List for England 1226650) in whose grounds the memorial stands and which houses plaques naming the fallen.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Lymm as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. A memorial committee, chaired by Maj WK Kershaw, was formed to lead the creation of the memorial, which was unveiled on 17 July 1921 by Lt Col T Ridgway. The memorial was dedicated by Rev HE Maddox with Lt Col CT Alexander reading the Roll of Honour. Mr and Mrs Thomas J Ridgway placed a large wreath in memory of their son Issac Althorp Ridgway, followed by the placing of personal tributes from other relatives of the fallen men. At the end of the service the memorial was given into the charge of the incumbent and wardens of the church of St Mary the Virgin, in whose grounds the memorial stands (NHLE 1226650).

Following the end of the Second World War a dedication to the fallen of that conflict was added to the memorial. The memorial does not list any names but plaques bearing the names of the fallen from the First and Second World Wars are located within the church.

Details

A First World War memorial of 1921 with an additional inscription after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Woolton red sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands at the top of a grassed bank surrounded by gravestones to the rear and overlooking the Lymm Dam.

The memorial is based on Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘cross of sacrifice’ design, taking the form of a Latin cross with octagonal sections throughout, with a sword of sacrifice carved in relief on both sides of the cross. The arms and shaft have lipped, bossed terminals. The shaft tapers slightly and flares at the base, to a short foot. The cross stands on an octagonal plinth with a three-stepped octagonal base.

The principal face of the plinth bears the inscription, carved in low relief, SACRED TO/ THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PLACE/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ AND. Below this, at the foot of the plinth and running along three sides, is the dedication ALL WHO FELL/ IN WORLD WAR II/ 1939 – 1945.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums register, accessed 01/03/19 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9988
War Memorials Online register, accessed 01/03/19 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/131383
War Memorials Trust website, accessed 01/03/19 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1407

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].