Budby War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463489
Date first listed:
28-Aug-2019
Statutory Address:
Main Street, Budby, Nottinghamshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Budby War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:29:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
Main Street, Budby, Nottinghamshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Perlethorpe cum Budby
National Grid Reference:
SK6181870077

Summary

First World War Memorial, unveiled in 1921, with the names of the fallen from the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Budby War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a tall cross;

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Group value:

* it has strong group value with the Grade I-registered Thoresby Park to the east; Woodland View and Park View, early-C19 estate cottages to the west and south respectively; a K6 telephone kiosk and a Victorian pillar box to the south-west, all listed at Grade II.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial in Budby was erected in memory of the six men from the village who died in the First World War. It was paid for by public subscription, including a generous donation from the fourth Earl Manvers who unveiled it on 31 July 1921. The Hon Rev Robert Dalrymple officiated. The names of two men who died in the Second World War were added on a separate plaque.

Details

First World War Memorial, unveiled in 1921, with the names of the fallen from the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Clipsham stone.

PLAN: the memorial is located in a small triangular plot to the west of Worksop Road.

EXTERIOR: it is in the form of a tall cross with a stone wreath carved in relief, resting upon a square plinth. A plaque on one side of the plinth bears the following inscription: IN GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THOSE/ MEN FROM THIS/ PARISH WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ (NAMES). Another plaque beneath reads: IN COMMEMORATION/ OF THOSE LOST/ IN THE 2ND WORLD WAR/ (NAMES). The memorial stands in the centre of a raised platform of coursed, roughly dressed stone, with steps and stone bollards linked by a chain.

Sources

Websites
Nottinghamshire County Council Roll of Honour, accessed 7 March 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/41
UK Inventory of War Memorials , accessed 7 March 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].