Bowness on Solway War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463519
Date first listed:
18-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
St Michael's Churchyard, Church View, Bowness on Solway, Cumbria, CA7 5AF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bowness on Solway War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:52:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Michael's Churchyard, Church View, Bowness on Solway, Cumbria, CA7 5AF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Bowness
National Grid Reference:
NY2233962636

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920 with a Second World War addition.

Reasons for Designation

Bowness on Solway War Memorial, erected 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a simple yet poignant memorial in the form of a Latin cross crafted in polished pink granite by Messrs Beattie of Carlisle.

Group value:

* it benefits from a spatial group value with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Michael, in whose churchyard it is located.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. 

One such war memorial was raised at Bowness on Solway as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. This war memorial was erected in 1920 within the churchyard of the Church of St Michael (National Heritage List for England: 1137007), to commemorate 29 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. It was built by the firm of masons Messrs Beattie & Co of Carlisle, who were responsible for many war memorials in the north of England and in Scotland, some of which are Grade II listed. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 8 December 1920 by the Bishop of Carlisle. After the Second World War the name of an additional serviceman was added.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with a Second World War addition.

MATERIALS: red granite.

DESCRIPTION: Bowness on Solway war memorial is located in the churchyard of the Grade II*-listed Church of St Michael; it is prominently situated by the churchyard entrance and close to the main road it faces. It takes the form of a polished red granite Latin cross atop a simple foot surmounting a tall four-sided plinth with moulded and incised cap decoration, on a two-stepped base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised and blacked lettering and reads: IN/ MEMORY/ AND HONOUR OF/ THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918// (NAMES)// AND JOSEPH MILLAR WHO FELL IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR 1939 - 1945. The names of the fallen are listed on the left and right sides in order of first name.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Inventory , accessed 07-03-2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4012
War Memorials Online , accessed 07-03-2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/124959/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].