Ewshot War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463545
Date first listed:
18-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
St. Marys Churchyard, Church Lane, Ewshot, GU10 5BD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ewshot War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463545 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:28:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
St. Marys Churchyard, Church Lane, Ewshot, GU10 5BD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Hart (District Authority)
Parish:
Ewshot
National Grid Reference:
SU8161149815

Summary

First World War memorial cross.

Reasons for Designation

The Ewshot War Memorial, positioned adjacent to the Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War;

Architectural interest:

* as a well-composed granite wheel-cross memorial with original inscriptions.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The Ewshot memorial cross is one such First World War memorial which records the names of 18 of the fallen from the conflict. The monument is situated within the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, which was built in 1873 to the designs of John Oldrid Scott (1841-1913). It is unknown when the memorial at Ewshot was erected, but it does appear on the Hampshire Ordnance Survey (OS) map of 1932 (1:1,250). Unlike most First World War memorials, it has not been updated to include the names of the fallen from the Second World War (the names of those who fell in this conflict being recorded on a separate memorial plaque within the Church of St Mary).

Details

First World War memorial cross, situated within churchyard of St Mary in Ewshot.

MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: rough-hewn wheel cross with a sword of sacrifice relief on the front face set on a square plinth and base. The plinth bears an inscription, which reads: "TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF THE / OFFICERS AND N.C.Os. AND MEN / OF THIS PARISH WHO LAID / DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE / GREAT WAR. / 1914–1918." The names of the fallen are recorded on the other faces of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
IWM: Ewshot WWI Cross, accessed 8 March 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/21317
War Memorials Online: Ewshot WWI Cross, accessed 8 March 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/261512/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].